Chapter Twenty-Two: Merry Christmas

Rodrick's eyes fluttered open. He slowly sat upright and rubbed his eyes. He let out a loud, over exaggerated yawn and looked around, trying to adjust to the morning light which filtered through his room. That's when he realized—

"It's Christmas," he whispered. "It's Christmas," he repeated, louder this time.

And with that, he threw his blankets off of him and leapt out of bed. He thrust himself down the attic stairs and ran along the second floor shouting, "It's Christmas! It's Christmas!"

He banged on everyone's doors and made his way downstairs. He plopped down on the couch and heard everyone groan in their bedrooms.

"Can't you wait another hour, Rodrick?" his dad called out to him from upstairs.

"Nope!" Rodrick shouted back. "It's Christmas, Dad!"

"Greg isn't even up," said his dad. "And he's the first one to nag us to open presents."

That's the thing, Rodrick didn't wake up his family to open presents. He woke them up so they could start decorating for the Christmas party and have Y/N come over soon.

He looked over at the tree and smiled. Y/N's presents were tucked into the corner away from the other presents. He couldn't wait to give her the gifts.

Ten minutes later, the rest of the family joined Rodrick in the living room. Manny was still half asleep.

"You boys can open your stockings first," Rodrick's mom said, pointing to the over sized socks hanging above the fireplace.

Greg got up and took down his, Rodrick's and Manny's stockings, handing them to their owners.

Each of them got new socks, a new toothbrush, new toothpaste and their favourite candy.

They moved onto their presents. All of Greg's presents from his parents were weights. He looked up at his mom and dad and forced a smile. "Thanks," he said.

"That'll help with the wrestling," said his dad.

Manny's present consisted of new toys and clothes.

And all of Rodrick's gifts were musically related. He got new drumsticks, posters of his favourite bands, a key chain with a little drum kit on it and mute pads for his drums.

Then they moved onto the gifts that they had given each other.

Manny gave both his brothers a snowman made from cotton balls. Greg and Rodrick exchanged a glance before shoving the cotton ball snowman away.

Greg gave neither of his brothers anything, insisting to his parents that he was on a tight budget.

Then it was time for Rodrick's present to Greg. He gave him the imperfectly wrapped video game.

Greg quickly tore off the wrapping paper and beamed. "Wow," he said. He looked up at Rodrick. "This is what I wanted."

"I know," Rodrick replied quietly. Greg moved forward, preparing to hug Rodrick. "Don't even think about it."

Greg sat back down and smiled at his video game.

"Rodrick, that was so sweet," said his mother, a hand on her chest.

"Alright, alright," Rodrick said, getting up from his spot on the couch. "Don't make a big deal about it, okay? It's just a present. Now, I'll be up in my room. Let me know when I can tell Y/N to come over."

And with that, he disappeared into his attic-room.

———Meanwhile at the L/N residence———