Chapter Eight: You're so Weird

"Looks like you two had an exhausting day."
Rodrick and Y/N sprang awake, rubbing their eyes. Rodrick looked in the entryway to see Y/N's mother crossing her arms. She walked into the living room and seated herself in between Rodrick and Y/N.
"So what did you guys do all day?" she asked.
"We took Lee for a walk," Y/N said. "And we watched a bit of Scream but I fell asleep."
"So did I," Rodrick said. "I always fall asleep during movies."
Y/N's mother got up from the couch and said, "Is Rodrick staying over for dinner?"
"Sure why not," Rodrick replied.
Y/N's mother went into the kitchen and started to prepare food.
"Hey sorry for falling asleep," Rodrick said to Y/N. "I think I would've liked the movie if I weren't so tired."
"It's alright," Y/N shrugged, giving him a small smile. "I've watched it a thousand times anyway. Next time we'll have to watch a movie that neither of has seen."
Next time, Rodrick thought. She wants there to be a next time.
"Could it be a scary one?" asked Rodrick.
"Yeah, as long as you don't scream like a girl," Y/N laughed.
"I don't scream, ever," he said.
Y/N chuckled and got up from the couch. "Let's go see what my mom is making," she said to Rodrick, grabbing his hands and pulling him up from the couch. He tried with all his might not to let his cheeks go red as he let Y/N lead him into the kitchen. She brought him to the counter where they could see Y/N's mom on the other side preparing dinner.
Y/N watched her mother intensely, her hands still holding onto Rodrick's.
Should I let go? he asked himself. I don't want to.
Rodrick shifted his gaze from his and Y/N's intertwined hands to Y/N's mother who was making spaghetti with homemade sauce.
"This may take some time," Y/N's mother said. "So you can go to the mall for a bit. I'll tell you when I've started to boil the noodles so you won't be late."
"Perfect. Thanks, Mom," Y/N said, leading Rodrick towards the door.
When they got to the door, Y/N let go of Rodrick's hands and leaned against the wall to tie up her converse. "Here," said Rodrick, bending down. "Let me do it." He tied her laces into a messy bow and stood up.
"Thank you," Y/N smiled at him before taking his hands once again and leading him out the door. They walked over to his van, letting go of each other's hands to get into their separate seats.
When Y/N had buckled her seatbelt, Rodrick started the engine and pulled out of the driveway. "So you know that place I told you about?" he asked as they began to drive down the street.
"The record store? By the mall?" Y/N asked. Rodrick nodded.
"Is that where you wanna go?" He looked over to her and awaited her response.
She glanced at him and said, "Yes, it seems like fun."
Rodrick faced the road and took a slow turn around the corner. "You can play some music if you want," he told her.
She pressed a few buttons, connecting her phone to the bluetooth in the van. She flicked through the songs on her playlist before finding a Deftones song.
"You like Deftones?" Rodrick asked.
"Yes," she replied. "Do you?"
"I love them," he told her.
From the corner of his eye he saw her smile at him fondly.
They drove past Rodrick's house to see Rowley walking up to the front door. He saw them in the in the van and waved to them. Y/N waved to him and smiled.
"He's such a sweet kid," said Y/N.
"Yeah I told Greg to ditch him," Rodrick said suddenly.
"What? Why?" Y/N asked.
"Because he's going to humiliate Greg and stop him from fitting in at middle school," Rodrick explained.
"Rodrick, I'm not sure you should've said that to Greg," said Y/N.
"Why?" he asked.
"Well because Greg shouldn't have to care about "fitting in" and I'm not sure telling him to get rid of his best friend is a good decision," Y/N told him.
"Yeah, I guess you're right," Rodrick muttered. He probably shouldn't have told her that. "But... um... I doubt Greg will take my advice anyway. He never listens."
Y/N nodded and opened her mouth to speak.
Suddenly, the Deftones song ended and the next song to play was Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon. She turned to Rodrick. "Do you want me to change it?" she asked.
He shook his head. "It's a good song."
She nodded and looked out the window of his van. "Are you guys excited about the contest?" Y/N asked, referring to Rodrick and his band.
"Oh yeah," he said enthusiastically. "We're going to practice almost every day." He looked over at her. "Are you going to be at our practices?"
"Sure," said Y/N. "If you want me there."
Of course I do, he wanted to scream but he knew it was best to keep his mouth shout. "I mean, Löded Diper needs all the support it can get," he said. "We would love to have you over."
They pulled up to the record store which was very close to the mall. Rodrick parked as best as he could and hopped out of his van, Y/N following him.
They walked into the store and looked around at all the records. "Rodrick, look," she said, taking his hand and pulling him towards some HIM vinyls. She held up one for him and smiled brightly. Her smile was so captivating, so enchanting and so very contagious. He looked down at her, grinning and gently took the record from her hands. His eyes scanned the store until they fell onto a shelf full of boxes up record players. Suddenly he got the perfect idea. He handed her the vinyl and looked around, pointing out some of Y/N's other favourite artists.
When they had walked around the whole store, Rodrick suggested they go to the mall since Y/N's mother still didn't have dinner prepared.
They left the record shop and crossed the parking lot to the mall. "So where to first?" Rodrick asked when they walked through the doors of the mall.
"Hmm," Y/N hummed. She gave him a smirk. "Booster Juice?"
He sighed. "Okay, but only if—"
Before he could finish his sentence, Y/N grabbed his hand and dragged him to the food court. They went straight for Booster Juice which thankfully didn't have a long line. Y/N ordered her smoothie of choice and quickly received it.
"I don't know how you like that stuff," Rodrick said.
"I don't know how you don't," she replied, taking a big sip of her drink.
"Can we go shopping now?" Rodrick asked.
"You're such a child," Y/N said. "But, yes. We can. Where do you want to go?"
"Probably like Hot Topic," Rodrick replied with a shrug.
Y/N took his hand once again and pulled him towards the Hot Topic store where they played great music. Rodrick walked around the store looking at things we found interesting, such as new belts, band tees and jeans.
He didn't buy anything. He wasn't here to really buy anything. He was here to spend time with Y/N.
They spent a few more minutes in Hot Topic before making their way back to the food court where Rodrick got a mixed fountain drink —he told the cashier to put half Coke and half Seven Up in his drink. They sat at one of the tables and Y/N ridiculed him endlessly.
"You don't like Booster Juice but you'll drink that?" she asked him incredulously.
He nodded slowly. "It's good. Trust me."
"I'll trust you in any other situation but this," she told him, sipping on her smoothie.
"That's fine. You can keep drinking your gross smoothie while sit here in soda heaven," he said.
Y/N rolled her eyes. "You're so weird."
"You keep hanging out with me," he told her.
"Maybe I'll stop," she replied.
"You can't," he said. "You're my tutor."
"I'll find you a different one," she told him.
"I don't want a different one," he thought aloud.
Y/N took a sip of her smoothie and tried to hide the obvious smile she had on her face.
Suddenly, Rodrick heard a loud chime. He watched Y/N pull her phone from her pocket. She looked up from her phone and met his eyes. "Mom says dinner will be done soon."
Rodrick got up from his seat and waited for Y/N to do the same before they left the mall and got into his van. As he drove out of the mall parking lot, Rodrick felt someone's eyes on him. He turned over to look at Y/N who was already staring at him, a smile on her lips. "What?" he asked, mirroring her grin.
She shrugged. "Nothing."
"You're so weird," said Rodrick.
"So are you," she replied. And although his eyes were on the road, he could feel the smile on her face grow bigger.

When they got to Y/N's house, they were immediately struck with a delicious smell coming from the kitchen. Y/N went to untie her shoes but Rodrick came to her rescue and did it for her, allowing her to run into the kitchen quicker. He followed after her, his nose getting closer and closer to heaven every step he took.
"It smells so good in here, Mom," Y/N said, sitting at the table. Rodrick sat beside her attempting to make the fact that he scooted his chair closer to her subtle.
Y/N's mother set everything on the table and said, "Good because I'm pretty sure I got the recipe wrong."
"It'll taste fine just the same," Y/N told her reassuringly as she put some noodles onto her plate, topping them with her mother's homemade sauce. Rodrick followed her movements and shovelled the best spaghetti he'd ever tasted into his mouth.
"This is amazing," he said in between bites.
"Thank you," Y/N's mother replied with a please smile. "I was really worried about the sauce. I thought I screwed it up."
"It's not," said Rodrick. "It's perfect."
"It really is, Mom," Y/N said.
"Thank you. Now, how was the mall?" her mother asked.
Y/N told her mother about the vinyls in the record store and the fact that Rodrick drinks coke mixed with seven up. Y/N's mother didn't tease him too much about it. In fact, she said she would have to try it before she could ridicule him about it. This made Y/N laugh.
"Mom, don't say that, you know it's gross," Y/N said.
Y/N's mother shook her head and gathered everyone's empty plates before placing them onto the kitchen counter. "Forgive her, Rodrick."
"I'm used to it by now," he said with a shrug.
"You're making it sound like I abuse you," Y/N said, getting up from the table. Rodrick stood too and smiled at her.
"But you do," he teased.
She playfully punched his arm and made her way out of the kitchen and up the stairs to her bedroom.
"See!" he shouted, following her up the stairs. "You just hit me."
They walked into her room and Y/N shook her head before taking a seat on her bed. "You're so weird."
"So are you," he replied, sitting next to her.
They looked at each other for a moment, both smiling.
The moment Rodrick's eyes went to Y/N's lips, he forced himself to look away. He cleared his throat and quickly thought about something to say. "So the band will be practicing at my place tomorrow and I was wondering if you wanted to come over?"
"Of course," Y/N said with a smile. It was quiet for a while until Y/N said, "What are you guys going to play at the contest?"
"I'm not sure yet," he said with a shrug. "We'll probably play Devil's Diper."
"Devil's... Diper?" Y/N asked.
Rodrick looked at her, taking in her amused expression. "I know, it's stupid but it goes with the band name so."
"I don't think it's stupid. It's definitely Löded Diper's thing," she said. Rodrick smiles at her. He knew she didn't really mean that. He knew she thought his band name was the most ridiculous thing ever but she was nice about it. That's why he liked her.
Suddenly his phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out to see a notification from his mother.

mom: Hi honey are you coming home now?
Rodrick: yeah i'll be there soon

He turned to Y/N and said, "I've gotta go. Sorry."
"It's okay," she replied with a smile.
He got up from the bed and made his way towards her door. Before he opened it, he turned around to face her. "You know, I really had fun today."
He knew it was just his eyes playing tricks on him but he thought he saw Y/N blush a little bit.
"I had fun too," she replied.
Rodrick nodded and swallowed the lump in his throat. "Bye," he said, running out of her room.
He raced down the stairs, biding Y/N's mother goodbye before running out the door and hopping into his van. He quickly started it and drove down the street like a maniac. Without Y/N in his vehicle, he could now drive how he normally does.
When his phone connected to his van, it began to play Right Here In My Arms by HIM. Rodrick immediately thought of Y/N and starting humming the lyrics. He wished Y/N felt the same. He wished he deserved her. He wished he felt good enough for her. But most of all, he wished he could get her out of his mind because no matter how much he thought of her and how much he liked her, she could never want him the same.

Author's note: I know we don't all share the same birthday date but I'm thinking of making Y/N's birthday happen in an upcoming chapter so that Rodrick can get her the perfect gift which just so happens to be the record player. That was the reason he got the great idea. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying this story so far, I know it's not that good but after I finish writing it I'm planning on revising it and making it perfect