Chapter Twenty-Six: Friendly Advice

It was the beginning of February meaning the worst holiday ever was coming up. Valentine's Day. Rodrick hated Valentine's Day. He hated seeing everyone have someone get gifts and special things from their significant others and secret admirers. He hated it even more this year because the one person that could make Valentine's Day tolerable didn't reciprocate his feelings.

As for Y/N, she was neutral about Valentine's Day. She didn't care about it. To her, it was kind of stupid. Why should there be a day dedicated to doing something special for the person you love? Shouldn't people be doing those things anyway regardless of there being a specific date? Those were just her thoughts.

Clearly Ben and Lexi didn't share those same thoughts.

In the cafeteria, Ben and Lexi sat side by side being all touchy while Y/N, Rodrick and Barry were trying to eat.

"I was thinking a movie at my place or at the theatre. Whichever you prefer," Ben said. Lexi had her arm interlocked with Ben's.

"That's up to you, it'll be your day too," Lexi cooed.

Rodrick grimaced. "Can you please stop? I'm trying to eat," he grumbled as he stabbed his cafeteria meat loaf with his plastic fork.

"Same here," Barry said as he ate a spoonful of jello.

Ben and Lexi sighed and pulled apart from one another.

"So, Y/N," Lexi said. Y/N looked up from her food. "Are you planning on asking anyone out for Valentine's Day?"

Y/N shook her head and sipped on her juice.

"What about you, Rodrick?" Lexi asked.

"Hell no," Rodrick said. "Valentine's Day is stupid."

"But would be so stupid if you asked out the right person?" Lexi suggested. Her eyes flickered to Y/N for a moment.

Y/N tried to hide her smile. The teasing was slowly making a come back.

Rodrick shrugged. "Probably."

"He just needs to grow a pair and ask this special someone out," Ben said with a smile.

"There is no special someone," Rodrick muttered, cheeks going red.

"Oh yeah? That's strange because I remember you writing a song about a girl that you really like in hopes that she would—"

Rodrick kicked Ben from under the table.

"How about we stop all this talk about Valentine's Day?" Y/N suggested.

"Thank you, Y/N for being the only other reasonable person at this table," Rodrick said.

"Thanks for acknowledging me," Barry mumbled bitterly.

The school day came to an end, meaning that Y/N and Lexi were going to have a sleepover. Lexi's moms picked them up and drove them to Lexi's house. Lexi had bought loads of snacks which they ate on her bed.

"So," Lexi said. "I know you said you were going to do this on your own time but... Valentine's Day is like the perfect time to ask him."

"Yeah, if he didn't think it was so stupid," Y/N said. "And if he actually liked me back."

Lexi gave her an incredulous look. "What do you mean if? Y/N, we've been over this already. It's so obvious that—"

"Then why didn't he say anything about the kiss?" Y/N asked. Lexi stayed quiet. "On boxing day. Why didn't he ask about it?"

"Because of me," Lexi whispered.

"What?" Y/N asked.

"I told him to keep quiet about it and wait for you to say something about it," she replied.