Chapter Fourty-One: Nerd

It was the Saturday after Y/N and Lexi's sleepover and Mrs. Heffley had called her before lunch.

"Hi, Y/N," she said through the phone. "Are you busy today?"

"Nope," Y/N replied.

"Would you mind coming over? Frank's dad's birthday is today and we're having a small party for him. Rodrick and Greg wanted to invite you," Mrs. Heffley told her.

"Oh, sure. Yeah, I can come over," Y/N said. "Did you want me to bring a gift?"

"No, that's okay. Just bring yourself, sweetie," Mrs. Heffley said. "See you soon!"

Y/N hung up the phone and turned to Lexi who was still rubbing her eyes. "You leaving so soon?" Lexi asked in a raspy voice.

"Yeah, Rodrick's grandpa has a birthday today," Y/N said. "They want me to go over. I think I should show him the conversation on Instagram."

"No, wait until Monday. We need to have Heather and Brad there too," Lexi said.

Y/N nodded. "Well, I'm going to get ready."

"Do you want my moms to drive you?" Lexi asked. "They're usually up crazy early."

"Sure, that would be perfect," Y/N replied.

After Y/N got dressed, Lexi's moms drove her to the Heffley's.

"Have fun, Y/N," said Kendra. "It was nice having you over."

"If you wanna come over at anytime, you're always welcome," said Maya, Lexi's other mom.

"Thank you," she said to both of them before hopping out of their car. She went up to the front porch and knocked on the door.

When it opened, she came face to face with Rodrick. "Hi," he smiled.

"Hi," she replied. He took a step back and let her inside. She wiped her shoes on the carpet and kicked them off.

"Rodrick, is that Y/N?" Mrs. Heffley's voice called.

"Yes," Rodrick said.

"Can you two come into the dining room, please?" she asked.

"Come on," Rodrick said, leading Y/N into the dining room.

Around the table there sat, Manny, Greg and Rowley. All three of them wore party hats. Y/N saw a stack of party hats on the table and smiled as her and Rodrick sat down. She picked one up and turned to Rodrick.

"What?" he asked.

"Put one on," she said, handing it to him. He shook his head. Y/N pulled on the little string before placing the hat on Rodrick's head. Then she slowly let the string go so that it didn't snap against Rodrick's skin. He looked at her with an unimpressed face. "You're ready to party."

"Party hardy," he mumbled unenthusiastically. Y/N smiled at him.

"Why are you so grouchy, Rodrick? It's a party!" Rowley exclaimed.

"He's grouchy because his girlfriend couldn't make it," Greg said.

"Shut up, dipshit," Rodrick muttered.

Rowley furrowed his brows and pointed at Y/N. "But I thought— Isn't Y/N his— Huh?"

"No, Rodrick's dating Holly's sister," Greg told him.

Rowley nodded, a confused expression still on his face. "So why couldn't she make it?" he asked.

"She was busy," Rodrick mumbled. Y/N then wished she had taken pictures of what Heather and 'Brad' were saying.