71

Two months later

I walked out of my office, turning off the light and locking the door. I said goodbye to Amber before walking out of the warehouse. I normally stay longer but I miss my wife.  I sat in my car for a few minutes because I started the car and drove in the direction of the grocery store. While stopped at a red light I called my mother.

"Oh my God Alison, to what I owe the surprise?" I rolled my eyes.

"Mom, you make it seem like I call once a year or something. We just talked last night." I heard her chuckle.

"I'm just pulling your leg. How are you?"

"I'm good. Just heading home from the warehouse. Hey, would you mind keeping the kids over the weekend?"

"You know I would never say no to seeing my grandbabies."

"I know, that's why I called. I want to do something special for Emily."

"Well we both know what that means " she said before she cackled.

"Mom!"

"Alison, you're asking me to keep the kids over the weekend starting today. You have more than a surprise planned for Emily." I gasped but kept my mouth shut. "Anyways, I come pick the kids up after they get home from school. If that's okay?”

"Yes, that's great. Thank you mom. "

"You're welcome. Tell my daughter in law hello when you get home." I smiled.

"I will." I said as I turned into the parking lot of the grocery store. "I'm going inside the store now mom. Love you."

"Love you too Alison."

While pushing the cart through the aisles I texted Emily.

I miss you.

I miss you too. What are you doing now?
I pretended  as though I was still at the warehouse.

Making sure everything is right for the upcoming show.

Oh okay. I was gonna say that I can come up there and spend some time with you since the kids are at school.  Amber could've watched Taj while we spent a little time together.

That sounds great but it's so busy here right now baby.

I know. Call me when you take a break.

I will. I love you.

I love you too. I put my phone in my pocket and grabbed the ingredients to make fresh bread before heading over to the meat section. I'm going to make Emily one of her favorite meals. A steak dinner, so I grabbed the steaks that she likes and the sides she loves before I went to the checkout line.
At Home
I parked my car next to Emily's, got out and grabbed the bags of groceries before heading to the front door.  When I walked in I heard music coming from the kitchen. Smiling, I put my keys in the bowl on the table by the door and walked in there to see Emily feeding Taj. She didn't realize I was there because her back was to me but as soon as Taj noticed me he had a big smile on his face.

"Mommy!" He clapped his hands together.

"Mommy will be home soon, little man. Last scoop, open." I stayed quiet and he frowned a little but still opened his mouth and ate the spoon full of his rice and veggies.

"Mommy…" he outstretched his arms to me with a sad look on his face and I couldn't resist anymore.

"Hi baby boy." I said as I put the bags of groceries on the counter before I picked him up. Emily looked shocked.

"Ali…" she looked at her  phone. "What are you doing home so early?"

"I wanted to surprise you." I said before I kissed Tajs cheek. She smiled and stood up.