61

TWO MONTHS LATER

I followed Ali into Addison's room and Addison looked away from the TV and smiled a little.

"How are you feeling sweetie?" Ali asked as she sat next to Addison on her bed. When she started to cough Ali started to pout.

"Believe it or not, a little better. It's just my throat and this bad cough now. I'm so cold and my stomach is so sore from coughing so..." She couldn't get out the rest due to the fit of coughing. Ali rubbed her back, trying to calm her down. When I reached over and touched her forehead and cheeks I drew my hand back instantly.

"You're burning up. Let me get you some medicine." I said before getting off the edge of the bed and walking into her bathroom and getting some Mucinex- All In One out of the medicine cabinet. I grabbed the glass she had on the sink cabinet and rinsed it out before filling it with water. I brought the two pills and water to her. "Take these and I'll go make you some tea, okay?" She nodded her head weakly and got the water and pills from me. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen, grabbed the tea kettle off of the stove and filled it. While the water was getting hot, I cut up little chunks if lemon and put them in the cup and put a teaspoon of honey in it. Soon the kettle started to whistle and I poured the hot water into the cup and stirred it a little before making sure the stove was off and going back upstairs to Addison's room. When I walked in she had her laying on Ali's lap while Ali sang to her quietly. "Here you go." I said as I sat on the bed on the other side of her.

"Thank you." She said quietly as she raised up and took the cup from me. She slowly sipped it.

"How long do you think it would take?"

"The doctor said a few more days and you'll start to feel better."

"Not that." Then I knew she was talking about the adoption.

"Addi, remember Mrs. Hastings told us that we have to be prepared for a possible long wait. Right now the papers have been sent to your mother..." Ali didn't have a chance to continue.

"She's not my mother... Not anymore. She just needs to sign the papers so it can be over and I can finally be a part of this family." Ali's face softened as she stared at Addison.

"You have been a part of our family since the day I brought you here. Don't ever think anything differently. To us, you're already our daughter and you'll always have a home here, no matter what happens with the adoption okay?" I said as I looked at her. She nodded her head before taking a few more sips of tea.

"I can't drink anymore." She said before she place ld the cup on the nightstand.

"It's okay. Try to get some rest. Mom is bringing you some soup by a little later." Addison smiled.

"Can y'all stay in here, just until I fall asleep?"

"Sure sweetie." Ali said as she grabbed the remote and turned to Addison's favorite show. I leaned back until the back of my head was on the headboard. Addison laid her head on Ali's lap again and closed her eyes as Ali rubbed her hair. We watched a full episode of Claws before we noticed that Addison was asleep. Ali slowly got off of the bed and replaced her lap with a pillow. We walked out of the room and down the stairs.

"I hate when they're sick." She said as she sat on the couch.

"Me too. She caught Honor's cold. It just a little worse on her right now. She'll get through it though."

"I know. We need to find out what's happening with the adoption. I wish we could've given her a better answer to why it's taking so long but we don't even know." I nodded my head and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.