The Night Is Ours (2)

"Mommy, we're hereeee!!!" Hans exclaimed, as he and his brother Henrik arrived to visit their mother, Liz.

"Tamang-tama lang pala ang dating ninyo, gutom na ba kayo?" Liz approached them, and they warmly embraced her in a loving hug.

"Yes, Mom!" Henrik responded, placing a hand on his stomach."Ay teka, may nakarating sa amin na.. " He glanced at Hans, playfully wiggling his eyebrows.

"Mommy, did you just confess to Tita Rain?" Hans inquired.

Liz nodded affirmatively in response.

"Finally, Mom! I'm so happy for you!" Hans exclaimed, a bright smile lighting up his face. "We know how long you've been waiting for this, and you truly deserve all the happiness in the world!"

"Akala ko ba, gutom ka Kuya?" Henrik chimed in jest, eliciting a soft giggle from Liz. She then led them to the dining table and served them their favorite dishes.

Liz couldn't help but feel a surge of love, as the words from her eldest son filled her heart with happiness. They were deeply affected when Liz and Santi filed for annulment. The process was emotionally challenging, not only for Liz but also for her children.

Santi showed no remorse, as he admitted to no longer loving Liz. He justified his actions by claiming that she couldn't fulfill his sexual fantasies, leading him to pursue her friend Hilary.

"Anyways, Mom, Henrik is gonna say something.. Bunso, go ahead!" Hans turned his gaze towards his brother.

"Hmm.. Papayagan nyo po ba akong mag aral sa Spain?" Henrik posed a question, and Liz fell silent. She turned her gaze towards her youngest son.

"Do you have a place to stay there? Who will be accompanying you, and when is the flight?"

"So, does this mean you're saying yes?" Henrik asked, awaiting her response. Upon seeing Liz slowly nod her head, he moved towards her and enveloped her in a warm hug.

"Thank you, Mom!" Henrik expressed,
"I promise to behave while I'm there, and
I won't be giving you any grandchildren!" He added, his tone light and teasing.

"Nako, anak.. You're only 23! Masaya maging single, huwag kang tumulad sa akin na minadali ang buhay may asawa." She gently pulled away and tenderly caressed her son's cheek.

"Don't blame yourself for putting us first. Look at where you are now. Even though you're not legally divorced from Dad, you have the freedom to pursue what makes you happy. Mom, your mental well-being is important." Henrik spoke with sincerity.

"Thank you, Henrik... Hans... Thank you for being so strong for me," Liz's voice trembled with emotion. Hans joined them, wrapping them both in a heartfelt embrace.

The trio continued their lunch, and Liz never ceased to make her sons feel loved, even when she couldn't be physically present with them at home.

•••••

Santi arrived at his office promptly at 10:00 AM, where he had a scheduled meeting with his friend, Attorney James Dela Rosa. Attorney Dela Rosa was also handling his annulment case, and at this point, Santi could only wait for the final verdict, feeling powerless to take any further action.

They exchanged a firm handshake before Santi took a seat on the sofa. Attorney Dela Rosa handed him a set of documents, but they were not related to the case. Instead, they contained a profile of Rain Fuentes.

"I understand that my wife is a lesbian, but I can't believe that the person she's involved with now is a tycoon?!" He exclaimed, his voice filled with disbelief.

"Yes, Governor. Rain Fuentes is the proprietor of a chain of hotels here in El Fuego. Additionally, she possesses extensive political connections," Attorney James explained. "You should carefully consider the consequences before engaging in any wrongdoing," he added, emphasizing the importance of thoughtful decision-making.

Santi let out a soft sigh, gently massaging his temple. He had exhausted all his efforts in attempting to win her back, but Liz was no longer the woman he could manipulate. She had learned to stand up not only for herself but also for her sons.

"Well, I guess I have to let her go for the meantime. I'll just wait till she beg for me." He scoffed, "Saan naman kaya siya dadalhin ng pag-ibig na 'yan."

"Santi, ang babae kapag sumuko na, wala nang atrasan yan. Nandyan naman si Hilary, ikaw din naman ang nagsabing iba siya kay Liz!" Attorney James exclaimed.

"Si Hilary, pampalipas oras ko, si Liz naman talaga ang mahal ko!" He said.

"O ayan ha, eh bakit hindi siya ang priority mo? Gov, malaking kasiraan sa political career mo ang paghihiwalay ninyo ni Ma'am Liz!" The attorney expressed his concern, his voice tinged with worry.

"Kasalanan niya rin naman kung bakit ako nagkaganito, lalaki ako.. Syempre, kailangan kapag nasa bahay na ako, dapat ako naman ang priority niya. Wala, mas busy pa siya sa walang kwentang bagay. Anyway, thank you for dropping by. Update mo na lang ako kapag nasa iyo na ang kopya ng mga papeles ng mapirmahan na."  Santi rose from his seat as Attorney James made his way towards the exit.

He walked over to the table, poured some rum into his glass, and took a sip.

Later that day, Rain spotted Liz sitting alone at a restaurant. As Liz was about to have lunch, Rain approached her.

"Hey, Liz!" She greeted, leaning in to kiss her on the cheeks. "Why are you alone? Where are your sons?"

"Namili sila ng mga damit na dadalhin ni Henrik sa Spain, hindi na ako sumama at baka hindi magustuhan ni Bunso yung mga kukunin ko." Liz responded playfully, "As much as I would love to spend time with them, I give them the freedom to do as they please," Liz replied. At saka, makita ko silang masaya, ok na ako." She uttered, then proceeded to flip through the pages of the menu.

"Hanga ako sa'yo, you always put their happiness first!" Rain spoke, and Liz responded with a smile.

"They are mature enough to comprehend the situation. We are no longer the happy family that people once perceived us to be," Liz explained. "The kids have witnessed my struggles, and they have made the courageous decision to choose what is best for themselves. I love them dearly, and they love me just as much. They have chosen to end the pain caused by their own father." Liz sighed, and Rain reached out, holding her hand and gently rubbing it.

"So, hindi lang pala si Hilary ang babae sa buhay ni Santi?"

"Siya lang ang nahuli ko, pero marami akong pinamanmanan."

"Wow, what a douche bag!"

"HE IS!"

They fell silent as the tray of food arrived at their table. Rain was taken aback by the sight of numerous plates.

"Mukhang mapaprami yata ako!" Rain joked, "Kulang pa yung usap natin nung huli so.."

"Huy, huwag dito.. Take me somewhere, like, sa place mo!" Liz suggests.

"Haha, hindi 'yon.. At saka may iku-kwento rin ako sa'yo about my experiences. Promise, you'll never get bored!" Rain said.