The Night Is Ours (6)

Henrik has fully recuperated from his gunshot wounds and is now residing at their house. Rain and Liz have been alternating in caring for him, with Henrik developing a deep affection for Rain, who treats him as if he were her own child.

"Ok ka na ba, anak?" Rain asks as she sees Henrik walking with a glass of water.

"Yes, Tita, I'm fine po. Thank you po for everything. I can see that Mom is really happy to be with you." He smiled sweetly, Rain hugged him.

"And thank you for letting me love you and your brother also." She said.

"Tita, diba ngayon ang town hall debate? Bakit hindi pa kayo nagbibihis? Mom needs you there!" He pulls away, Rain almost forgot the event later at night.

"Thank you for reminding me, anak! Jusko baka hindi ako pansinin ng Nanay mo kapag wala ako doon! Hala, mag aayos na ako!" She hurriedly went upstairs to have a quick shower.

•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•

At 5:45 PM, the venue for the town hall debate begins to fill up with attendees. On one side of the bleachers, loyalists of the incumbent governor, donned in red and white attire, gather, while on the opposite side, supporters of Liz, clad in blue, assemble in anticipation of the event.

The event organizers informed the on-ground teams of both parties that proceedings would commence promptly, with Liz arriving an hour early to greet attendees before heading into the waiting area. On the contrary, Santi, perhaps feeling like the star of the show, delayed his arrival and only made it around almost 7:00 PM, a concerning signal, although his supporters remained unaware.

"Ma'am, Sir... We'll be starting in 20 minutes!" one of the staff members announced before departing.

Santi looked dapper in his barong Tagalog, paired with slacks, a slicked-back hairdo, and shiny shoes. Glancing at his ex-wife, he noted her attire—a blue Filipiniana blouse paired with a tribal-inspired skirt.

"Napaka ganda mo pa rin, Mahal ko." He smiled at her, "Sayang, matatalo ka sa araw ng eleksyon. Kaya kung ako sa'yo, ngayon pa lang magko-concede na ako." He said with a smug expression.

Liz looks at him from head to toe, "May gana ka pa pala na tawagin akong mahal after all that you've done? Napaka kapal talaga ng mukha mo." Calm but cold response from her. "Magugulat ka na lang, itong babaeng niloko mo, mas magiging malakas kaysa sa'yo."

Despite being the provincial leader, Santi couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss behind his back, evident by the shift from arrogance to irritation etched on his face. As they were called to the stage, Liz took her place on the left alongside two other gubernatorial candidates, while Santi settled on the right.

Rain arrived punctually, occupying a front-row seat with Hans and Liz's selected board members, individuals whom she believed could enact meaningful change. On the opposite side sat Santi's allies, including incumbent board members seeking re-election.

The MC commenced the event with a prayer before proceeding to introduce the candidates. Santi's paid supporters, easily swayed by his facade, cheered him on, while Liz, lacking the machinery and financial resources, still garnered support from those who believed in her vision for provincial change.

The topic of bribery among public officials has been discussed, and when accused, Santi vehemently denied any involvement, asserting that such behavior was not characteristic of him.

"Hindi po totoo 'yan," Liz interjected calmly but with unwavering conviction. She knew her ex-husband too well; he had confided in her about it and explicitly instructed her not to disclose it to anyone. However, she was now prepared to unveil what she knew.