Volume 1:Part5

I woke up to multiple missed calls from my "girlfriend" Kei. It seems she tried to contact me yesterday, but I was too busy checking out the OAA.

I had agreed that we would work together as partners moving forward, but I haven't told her anything about my father or the first years, and I had no plan on doing so it's for the the best if I'm the only one who knows about that for now or she might get needlessly dragged into the fight.

I sent her an apology and made my way to school after taking a shower and having breakfast.

"What's up with you, Kiyotaka?"

Kei had apparently spotted me walking and decided to come up from behind me and started a conversation out in the open.

"Should we really talk here?"

"Well, we're classmates. I'll just say we ran into each other and decided to walk together."

"I see."

"So?"

"What?"

"You've been out of it lately. What do you have on your mind? Is there some kind of problem?"

"Problem?"

"Yes, like that Nagumo jerk or a certain "angel" in our class?"

"No, it's nothing like that. Horikita just asked for help in the exam, so I was checking out the new first years on the OAA"

Technically, that wasn't a lie. I just left out my real motivation.

She didn't seem to fully buy it, but that satisfied her for now.

"Well, that's an odd duo."

Sudo had come up from behind me and decided to keep pace with me.

"What do you mean?"

"I didn't know you were close with Karuizawa. I'm surprised to see you too walking together."

"We're not close in particular. We just happened to run into each other."

Kei hadn't said a word this whole time she was visibly embarrassed and averted her gaze from the both of us.

Sudo didn't notice a thing, though he just put his arm around my shoulder and dragged me away from her, seemingly seeking a private conversation.

"Can I ask a favour Ayanokoji?"

"Sure, but I don't know if I'll do it."

He looked at me with a strange face before speaking again.

"Suzune asked you for help on the exam, right? That's why she called you out yesterday?"

"Yeah."

"I called her yesterday and asked if I could help too, but she completely shut me down she just told me to focus on my studies and not distract myself."

"She does have a point."

"I know that, but I can do both! I'll still go to all my study groups and even study in my free time so I want to help her out."

"What about your club?"

"Club doesn't start until 2 weeks, so I've got more free time now. You're close with Suzune, right? She trusts you, so if you vouch for me, she'll accept my help."

"I'll see what I can do, but why do you want to help so bad?"

"I want to prove to her that I've changed, and I can be of help now even when sports aren't involved, yknow?"

"I'll talk to her."

"You're the man, Ayanokoji!!"

He slammed my back with so much force that if I was a normal person, I would've probably fallen over.