Volume 7:Part 6

The trial for the cultural festival was just about to begin, and Horikita's Class was preparing to host their maid café. I had already told Horikita not to include me in the trial since I wanted to look around the festival. During the actual event, I'll be too focused on my plan and have no time to experience anything, so I wanted to take advantage of this trial instead.

"Kushida-san, where are you going?"

Sato noticed that Kushida was about to leave and immediately called out to her.

"I'm leaving. Do you need something from me?"

Sato looked somewhat irritated but kept her cool.

"Yes. We need you to participate. You haven't even practised with any of us, and now you won't join the trial? You're not taking this seriously at all."

Kushida gave her that same fake smile before responding calmly.

"I don't need to practice since I'll do a better job than all of you regardless."

Sato and even Matsushita now glared at her. Her confidence sure was outlandish, but she probably wasn't wrong. Sato was about to respond angrily, but Kushida cut her off.

"If you don't believe me, then don't include me as a maid, and I'll do something else. It doesn't make any difference to me."

Kushida stood there waiting for a response, and Horikita was also watching this unfold.

"Horikita-san, I think that would be a good move. Relying on Kushida-san is too risky right now."

Matsushita spoke to Horikita directly, and Kushida kept smiling at them.

"She'll do fine, don't worry about it."

I decided to cut into the conversation since excluding Kushida would be troublesome for me. I had already told her to do her best during the festival, and I was confident in her abilities. Kushida was one of the key factors in us beating Ryuen, and I needed to do that since I made a bet with him.

Matsushita and Sato looked at me, then back to Horikita.

"I agree with Ayanokoji-kun. If Kushida-san hinders our performance, I'll take full responsibility."

They both reluctantly nodded and let it go. I got up to leave, and Kushida walked alongside me for some reason. I looked at her in confusion, and she decided to explain.

"Why did you ask me to do my best during the festival?"

I decided to explain since she probably wouldn't leave me alone otherwise.

"Remember the bet Ryuen proposed? I took him up on it. If he makes more money than us, I'll pay him 5 million points."

She was now even more confused, probably wondering how I had enough points to even make such a bet.

"I got first place in the sports festival."

She nodded and started thinking. Kushida was a lot more perceptive than she looked, so talking to her felt easy since I didn't have to explain everything in detail.

"And what was that other thing about? You know I don't like speaking to Horikita-san."

She started pouting. Did she expect me to comfort her? I ignored her and kept talking.

"I'll explain after the festival."

After giving me an irritated expression, she sighed and gave up.

"Will you attend the festival?"

She decided to ask a question unrelated to our work together.

"Yes, I'm going to look around with Kei."

Kushida's expression got weaker when she heard my response. She was still smiling, but it wasn't nearly as convincing as usual.

"That makes sense.. well, I'll probably go home. I'm not really interested in the festival anyway."

I see. Is that what's going on with her?

I was about to respond, but she turned around and left without giving me a chance to do so.

After a long walk, I finally made my way to Ryuen's café. Since we had a bet, I wanted to check out what he was doing. I walked into the classroom and saw the decorations that resembled a more traditionally styled café with the maids wearing Kimonos rather than classic maid outfits. While the concept in itself was similar to ours, his café was clearly different.

I noticed that the classroom was mostly empty except for one person sitting at a table and reading a book. When she noticed me, she tried to hide herself behind the book. Did she not want to speak to me? If that was the case, then I suppose I should probably leave.

"Ayanokoji-kun. What are you doing here?"

Hiyori lowered the book and decided to speak to me after all. I walked over to her, and the other maid in the classroom walked out without acknowledging either of us.

"I was checking out what Ryuen was doing."

She nodded at me and put the book down.

"Oh, I see... well, what do you think?"

I sat down across from her and responded.

"I think it looks great. I won't be surprised if Ryuen is in the top 4 classes."

She smiled at me and nodded again. It seems she was also proud of their café.

"But I doubt my class will lose."

She giggled upon hearing my response.

"Is that so? Do you have something planned, Ayanokoji-kun?"

Despite her innocent look, Hiyori was quite sharp. She was probably trying to pry some information out of me.

"Maybe. What about you?"

Hiyori nodded at me and smiled again.

"With Ibuki-san participating, I'm confident in our victory."

Ibuki being a made was completely ridiculous.

"I can't believe Ibuki is going to be a maid."

Hiyori giggled once more, probably remembering the situation that led to Ibuki being a maid.

"She lost a bet to Ryuen-kun and was forced to participate."

I nodded at her. This all made a lot more sense. Ryuen probably took advantage of Ibuki's competitive nature and forced her into an impossible bet.

"Speaking of Ryuen, why isn't he here?"

I decided to ask since Ryuen was nowhere to be found.

"He's probably scouting the other classes. I think he'll visit class A then go over to your class Ayanokoji-kun."

Seems Ryuen had the same idea as me. I didn't care much about class A, so I wouldn't bother with them. All I needed to do was make sure not to lose against Ryuen so I could get those points.

"I've barely seen you in the library during our second semester. Did you stop going?"

I decided to ask since her behaviour was strange. Hiyori, who adores books, hasn't gone to the library at all for the last few weeks.

"No...I just go at a different time now so we don't get chances to meet. It's just bad luck."

She seemed flustered but also ashamed like she was doing something wrong. Hiyori's company during my time in the library was enjoyable, but if she goes at a different time, then it can't be helped.

"I see, that's unfortunate. It was nice to meet you here then."

She gave me a smile and nodded.

"It was fun talking with you, Ayanokoji-kun."

Her smile was definitely fake, but not because she was lying about having fun. It's more like she was guilty that she was having fun. I decided not to question it and nodded at her, then made my way out.

Now I had to meet Kei so we can check out this trial festival.