Volume 3:Part 3

I woke up about 2 hours before my next area was selected. I decided to stay in my tent for a little over an hour before heading out. Once I left, I saw that Nanase was already awake.

"Good morning, Senpai. Did you manage to sleep well? The tent is quite uncomfortable, isn't it?"

"Morning Nanase. Yeah, it is, but I managed somehow."

It's strange because I felt the same way as she did. As soon as I woke up, I noted how uncomfortable the tent felt but didn't say a thing.

She shot me a somewhat strained smile before looking back at the sky. She was sitting down in front of her tent and staring up for some reason.

"Ayanokoji-senpai."

"Yes?"

"What do you think when you look at the sky?"

The sky? I looked up to observe. It was a clear day with barely any cloud in sight it didn't look like it would rain, which was good for us, but it would probably be a very hot day. I told her my observation, but she didn't seem pleased by my answer.

"What do you think when you look at it, Nanase?"

She was kind of surprised at my question but quickly responded.

"I think about how beautiful the sky looks. Don't you think so, Senpai?"

She looked in my direction with a genuine smile this time. But she wasn't smiling because of me it was because of her admiration of the sky.

"It is beautiful. But that doesn't matter. I think our priority should be to assess the risks we might face on this test due to the natural weather."

"Maybe."

She didn't agree.

"Let's get going now. I don't want us to be late."

We headed back to the centre of our third area from yesterday and waited. When our first area of the day was announced, I asked to see Nanase's watch, and once again, we had the same destination. I nodded at her, and we headed there straight away. I didn't rush too much because of how early it was. Most people would try to get some more sleep and arrive at the last second, so it was likely we'd get the bonus even by walking.

After making it to the area, it seemed like I was right. I received the early bird bonus, which was very helpful. I checked my tablet to see if there were any tasks around while Nanase was looking over my shoulder to check it out as well, and then I saw two that would be ideal. A maths exam and a grip strength test. However, a third task caught my eye. "Super Secret Quizz." It was quite far away. I would be able to make it in time but probably miss my second area of the day. I wanted to head towards one of the other two tasks, but my curiosity got the best of me.

I told Nanase my goal, and she gave me a confused look but followed in silence.

"Ayanokoji-senpai, I'm confused. Wouldn't it have been ideal to go for the grip strength task or the maths test?"

She was correct, but I couldn't refuse my curiosity.

"Maybe."

She sighed and kept following closely behind me.

When we finally made it, I saw Sudo and his group. I noticed Ike was looking down probably due to the issue with Shinohara. I also noticed Hoshinomiya sensei.

"Can we sign up for this task?"

"Of course, Ayanokoji-kun! Who's this cute girl you're dragging along? Did you get yourself a girlfriend? And a kouhai too! I didn't know you were like that Ayanokoji-kun."