Volume 2:Part 4

The next morning, I decided to text Horikita before school since I knew she woke up almost two hours earlier than classes started.

<Horikita,are you awake?>

<Yes. What in the world do you need at this hour?>

<Come to my room.>

<Excuse me?>

<Come to my room. It's urgent.>

<What is this about?>

<Just hurry.>

<If this is a waste of my time, I'll stab you.>

She was threatening me. Unfortunately, I knew that she was serious she wouldn't hesitate to stab me since she's done it in the past already. Multiple times.

I took a shower while waiting for her to arrive and started thinking about what we needed to discuss. First off was the trials card,I already made up my mind, but I thought I should at least tell Horikita so she wouldn't cause me trouble later. Then there was the student council issue,I wanted to ask her to apply now to see what Nagumo was doing while he prepared for this exam. Then there was the third issue and probably the most important one.

Before I could finish my thoughts, I heard her knock on my door. I went to open the door, and she stared at me in confusion when she saw me.

"Why is your hair wet?"

What kind of question was that? Did Horikita think I was some kind of robot who never showered?

"I was in the shower."

"I see."

Somehow, that answer satisfied her...

Now, to discuss the most important topic.

"Sit down. You can sit on the bed if you want."

She followed what I said and sat on the bed while still looking confused, probably wondering why I even called her here this early.

I went into the kitchen and started boiling the kettle to make her a cup of coffee. She sat in silence, waiting for me to finish. Her manners were significantly better than Kei, who would nag me the entire time. After I was done, I brought the cup to her.

"Drink."

I stood in front of her, watching take the cup into her hands. The look of confusion on her face got even bigger now.

"What? Why are you saying that like it's an order? And why are you watching me so closely?"

"Just drink it."

She brought the cup to her mouth while looking into my eyes and stopped before taking her first sip.

"Did you Poison this?"

Apparently, Horikita thought I was a robot and a murderer who poisoned coffee cups.

"No. Just drink it."

She sighed and did what looked to be a prayer before taking her first sip. I analysed her expression closely to see what she thought, and she looked to enjoy how it tasted. I stood there and watched her finish the entire cup, and her expression remained consistent.

"Did it taste good?"

"Yes... I hate to admit it, but your coffee making skills might be even better than mine."

She seemed to be telling the truth. So what was it? Why did Kei never drink it? It seems this mystery will continue for a while longer. I needed to investigate more.

"Very well, then let's start."

I sat next to Horikita, and she was still bewildered by what just happened.

"I got the trials card."

Horikita looked in my eyes instantly she probably thought this was a great opportunity for our class.

"But I'm selling it."

She stood up immediately and glared at me.

"What?! Why on earth would you sell that?? If we form an elite group with you and make it to first place, we could jump in the rankings instantly. That's 600 class points. Don't be ridiculous, Ayanokoji-kun."

"Sorry. I made up my mind. I won't be joining any elite group either. I'm not aiming high for this exam."

"Then what will you do?"

"The first years might try to expel me again, I'll try to survive. That's it."

She looked confused. Even though Horikita knew about the bounty, she probably didn't think the first years posed that much of a threat to me, which was true. The real threat was Tsukishiro and the white room student. However, I couldn't tell her about that.

Horikita calmed down and seemed to understand my thought process.

"Very well, just do as you wish."

She was disappointed.

"Next, I want to discuss the student council issue."

"Yes, I know. I'm working on it."

"I want you to apply today."

She didn't expect that.

"Today? Why?"

"I want you to watch what Nagumo is doing before this exam starts. I don't know if he'll be targeting me along with the first years."

She sighed and seemed annoyed at my request but couldn't object since we had a deal.

"I'll go with you after school today."

"Very well."

She got up and thanked me for the coffee before leaving my room and going back to hers.