Volume 2:Part 7

Our meeting with Koenji was certainly interesting. I learned a lot more than I thought I would from this conversation. Unfortunately, Horikita had fallen straight into his trap, but I couldn't necessarily blame her. Koenji was someone that common sense and logic didn't apply to. There was no way she could understand him. I was interested to see what he would do on the island exam and what Horikita would do after realising her mistake.

I fell asleep while thinking about this whole situation and woke up to an unexpected text. It was Kushida. She wanted to meet me today after school. What could she possibly need from me?

I followed my usual routine and then made my way to school. I checked my phone again and noticed nobody had contacted me about my special card. Maybe 1 million was too much to ask? I sighed and went about my day normally.

Nothing particularly interesting happened so far, but after leaving the classroom with members of the Ayanokoji group, I was confronted by someone I didn't expect. It was Shiina Hiyori.

"How are you doing, Ayanokoji-kun? Are you leaving now?"

The Ayanokoji group all gave me various looks upon noticing that she was here for me.

"Yes, I was going to the cafe to hang out."

"Might I borrow a moment of your time? I'm sorry, but I must speak with Ayanokoji-kun about something rather urgent."

She looked towards Haruka and the others and bowed in apology.

"Go see what she needs Kiyopon don't be rude! We can all meet later, right Airi?"

Haruka purposefully included Airi to see her reaction. No. She wanted ME to see Airi's reaction. Haruka seemed to be playing matchmaker and trying to guilt trip me.

"U-um, yes! If it's urgent, y-you need to go!"

"I see. I'll go check it out then."

"Great! Let's go, Ayanokoji-kun!"

Out of nowhere, Hiyori grabbed hold of my arm and started running down tye Hall dragging me behind her. She had a warm smile on her face the entire time and seemed to be enjoying herself.

I kept pace with her and decided not to pull my arm away. She led me down the hall towards Ryuen's class. Outside of the class, Ishizaki and Albert were waiting for us.

"You did it, Shiina! You actually brought Ayanokoji!"

Ishizaki was particularly happy to see me.

"May I ask what this is about?"

"Yes! Ayanokoji, we need to speak with you about the exam, but we gotta go somewhere, y'know? People are watching' here."

"How long will this take?"

"Uhhh, maybe an hour? I dunno honestly."

An hour? If I went with them, I'd likely be late to my meeting with Kushida.

"Sorry, I can't today."

Without warning, Albert grabbed my other arm while Hiyori squeezed the one who was holding harder.

"I'm deeply sorry, Ayanokoji-kun, but we have no choice but to kidnap you now!"

Kidnap me? I could easily break out of their grasp, but it would attract unwanted attention. I also didn't want to hurt Hiyori her company at the library was comforting.

I sighed and let myself get dragged out of the school building. They were walking me towards the dorms when I saw Horikita and Sudo walking by. Thankfully, I was saved.

When we got closer, Horikita noticed my unfortunate situation, and rather than save, she started giggling while covering her mouth. She kept walking past me and didn't even look back. What kind of general doesn't save a soldier who's been taken behind enemy lines? I accepted my fate and hoped this day would end soon.

We made it to someone's room and went inside after Ishizaki opened the door. The room was covered in flags from top to bottom. It was a ridiculous amount. All for different countries as well. I looked around in confusion, and Albert noticed.

"I like flags."

He said his first three words today, and they were all in English. Ishizaki looked back and started talking.

"He said he likes flags, but I guess you could already tell."

Apparently, Ishizaki seemed to think my abilities didn't include speaking English. Hiyori giggled while looking at me for some reason.

I kept looking around at all the flags, and a thought popped up in my mind. During a sports world cuo, which country would Albert support? He seemingly admired them all, so it was interesting to think about.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Hiyori, who tugged at my arm now. I noticed she hadn't let go of me yet, which was strange, but I didn't mention it.

"What did you need, Ishizaki?"

"Oh, right. It's simple, come join our group on this exam. That way, we can get first place!"

"Why would I join your group?"

"Well, uhh..why wouldn't you? We're friends, right? We can spend time together and Shiina will be with us too! You two were like super close even when Ryuen was fighting your class!"

After hearing Ishizaki out Hiyori seemingly realised she was holding grabbing and my arm and instaly let go. Her face was somewhat red but not completely flustered. It was weird since I've never seen Hiyori behave this way.

It's true, however, that she and I have been close even back when Ryuen was searching for X, so spending time with on this exam could be enjoyable. On the other hand, I was surprised by ishizaki's words. I wasn't sure when he considered us "friends," but I didn't complain. He made a good argument, but my mind was made up from the start. I couldn't join any group, especially not with someone like Hiyori or Kei. I wouldn't say I considered them particularly important to me, and I didn't even know if I would feel sad if they got expelled. But their company was enjoyable, and it was an unnecessary risk.

"Sorry, I've already decided. I'll take this exam alone, and I'm not even trying to rank high."

Ishizaki and even Albert seemed disappointed, but Hiyori was still smiling. Did she expect I would respond this way?

"Are you sure? Damn! I thought this plan would work now. Ryuen-san will laugh in my face!"

Hiyori giggled and proceeded to explain.

"Ishizaki-kun proposed this plan to Ryuen-kun a few days ago. Ryuen-kun laughed and said that this plan would never work, but Ishizaki-kun insisted on trying it anyway."

I see. Is that why Hiyori wasn't disappointed when she heard my response? No, it felt like something else.

"Sorry to disappoint. I'd also appreciate you don't tell Ryuen that I won't be trying too hard. Horikita will get mad at me if she finds out I said that."

"Of course Ayanokoji, don't you worry! We're friends, right? I won't tell."

Ishizaki seemed to genuinely consider me a friend. I didn't know what I did to deserve his admiration, if I'm being honest.

I turned around to leave, but then Hiyori grabbed my arm softly.

"Good luck, Ayanokoji-kun. You're taking this exam alone, right? Please don't get expelled."

She was still smiling, but this one was somewhat forced. She seemed genuinely worried about the possibility of my expulsion.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine but thanks for your concern."

She smiled at me again, but this one was very real. I left the dorm building and started walking towards my meeting spot.

I called the Ayanokoji group and told them I couldn't meet today. They seemed disappointed, but they were used to it.

Now, it was time to see what Kushida wanted.