Volume 4:Part 10

Today was the 13th day of the exam. I was running through the woods while looking for someone precious to me. Ayanokoji-kun. I had to warn him. I had to tell him what I heard. I abandoned my entire team and even spent personal points to buy a new tablet so I could track Ayanokoji-kun. I was selfish right now, but I didn't care. All I could think about was losing Ayanokoji-kun. I didn't want him to get hurt.

It was getting late, and I was running out of breath, but I scanned again to see where he was and noticed something strange. Was Ayanokoji-kun moving closer to me? I didn't understand, but I kept running forward anyway.

Then I finally saw him. He was looking around like he was searching for something.

"Ayanokoji-kun!!!"

He looked in my direction and started coming closer. I ran directly towards him and jumped at him. We both fell to the ground, and I hugged his body tightly.

"What's wrong Ichinose did something happen?"

"Yes!! Yes!...I heard... I heard what the...director...Tsukishiro, he said!"

I couldn't speak properly. I was tired from running and I haven't eaten since yesterday.

He got up and put me down slowly while putting his hand on my face and looking into my eyes.

"Calm down Ichinose. Slowly. Breathe. Okay? Just look at me and calm down."

I did what he told me and tried my best to calm down and slow down my breathing.

"What are you doing here, Ayanokoji-kun? You were moving away but then turned around."

"I was looking for you. Arisu told me you left your group, so I decided to see if you ran into any trouble. I knew you wouldn't abandon your group unless it was important."

Looking for me? He was worried about me...Ayanokoji-kun...

"Did you calm down? Can you talk now?"

I could feel myself blushing, but I nodded my head aggressively at him.

"Director Tsukishiro. The one who explained the rules. I heard him talking on the radio. He said on the last day he'll "bury" you on I2."

"Bury me?"

"Yes. That's what he said. What's going on, Ayanokoji-kun? Are you in trouble?"

"Not anymore. Thank you, Ichinose."

Not anymore? What did that mean? He got up and tried to leave, but I called out to him.

"Ayanokoji-kun!! I'll go with you! Until this exam ends, I'll stay with you!"

He looked back at me, somewhat confused.

"You can't do that. What about your group?"

"I don't care about this exam! I just want to make sure you're safe! Ayanokoji-kun, if you got hurt, then I-"

"Ichinose. I'll be fine. I told you. Why are you insisting on coming with me even if you abandon your group?"

"I love you, Ayanokoji-kun!"

I realised what I said and immediately covered my mouth.

"No! That came out wrong, sorry!! Forget what I said."

He stayed silent for a little bit and then...

"Forget? So you didn't mean it?"

"No, I!"

"You what? If you're not clear, I might get the wrong idea."

"I..."

I looked down on the ground.

"I do...I do love you...Ayanokoji-kun."

He knelt down on the ground next to me.

"Then stay with me tonight and head back to your group tomorrow. I promise that when this exam is over, I'll respond to your feelings properly."

Respond...properly...

I nodded my head slowly, and he grabbed my bag off of my shoulder.

I sat down on the ground where I was and drank the water bottle he gave me while watching him set up two tents. When he was done, he came up to me again.

"Do you need help getting up?"

"No...I'm...fine."

He didn't leave. He stood next to me and watched me get up to make sure I'd be fine.

I got into my tent and bawled myself up, and started thinking about everything that happened.

I failed my class today. I abandoned them to help my "enemy" but I couldn't do anything else. Even if I was being selfish, I didn't regret helping Ayanokoji-kun. I hope my classmates can forgive me.

I hope Ayanokoji-kun doesn't get hurt.