Volume 1:Part 7

As I lay in my bed thinking about what happened to today, I remembered my text to Kei.

I promised I would call her, but it was already past 8 pm. I thought about what I should do, but ultimately, I decided to call her anyway so as to not break my promise.

Her phone was ringing, and I was waiting for a response, but I ended up getting none, I called two more times after that, and both phone calls went unanswered as well.

Was she mad and ignoring me? Or could something have happened to her? I started to think about the possible reasons for her lack of response it was very unnatural considering Kei always had her phone on her and would respond almost immediately.

I thought about going to her room just to make sure,it was past curfew so if I was spotted I'd get in trouble with the school but then again if I was spotted sneaking around the girl's floor I would be labelled as a creep and my reputation would be destroyed,not that it was that great to begin with if I'm being honest.

But then my phone started ringing.

It was Kei.

<Where were you?>

<Is that a way to start a conversation with your girlfriend after ignoring her all day?>

<That is one possible way to start a conversation, yes.>

<ugh sometimes you're so weird, Kiyotaka, anyway I was in the shower so I didn't see hear my phone I called you back as soon as I got out.>

<I see.>

<So what did you want?>

<Nothing. I promised I would call you, so I did.>

After I answered her question, an awkward silence followed. What was a "boyfriend" supposed to do in this situation?

<Did you enjoy your shower?>

I decided to ask her about it since she just said she was in there,I was pretty confident this was a good way to break the silence.

I was right... but not in the way I expected.

On the other side of the line, Kei burst out laughing,I was confused since I didn't recall making a joke, but I decided to let her calm down first and after she calmed down a little...

<What's so funny?>

<You.>

Me? Was she mocking my conversational skills? They weren't perfect by any means, but I had come a long way since I started at this school. I felt quite offended.

<You ask the weirdest things Kiyotaka what do you mean did I enjoy my shower? It was just a shower,instead, you should ask how my day went or something like that. You honestly have a lot to learn. I don't know what you'd do without me.>

She sounded pretty proud of herself. I had to admit Kei's social skills were far better than mine, but I refused to give her the satisfaction of admitting that.

<I think I would be okay without you. Don't worry about me.>

She huffed loudly to make sure I heard her disapproval and then stayed silent for a few seconds.

<Anyways, are you really okay? What happened with that first year guy?>

Her tone changed from anger to concern in an instant as she remembered what she heard about Hosen.

I ended up telling her everything that happened today except the part about Amasawa. I knew Kei would disapprove and question me, so I thought it best to tell her about it tomorrow.

I also left out what Nanase said since I didn't even understand what she meant. Could she know about the white room? About who I am? I suppose in that sense, my actions could be interpreted as evil. I serve myself and use others as pawns and disregarding their feelings.

Over the past year, Kei, who used to be nothing but a pawn, I could take advantage of became the person closest to me even though we were "dating" I felt no affection for her,I honestly don't know if I would even consider her a friend yet in the entire school she'd be the closest I have to that.

Sometimes, I would think back on what I did to her and wonder if I was put in the same situation, would I do it again? The answer was yes. I wouldn't allow myself to be expelled no matter who I had to sacrifice in the process these three years are more important to me than any bond.

I wonder if one day my thoughts will change? Will I ever consider someone else important enough to me that I would be willing to sacrifice my time at this school and my freedom for them? It was an interesting thought but one I had no answer to at the moment.

I realised that while I was thinking, Kei had called out to me multiple times,when I checked the call she didn't hang up even though I didn't respond she was just sitting there on the other end.

<Sorry. I got distracted.>

<Distracted by what?>

She responded immediately in a soft voice, curious about what I was thinking about.

<I was thinking.>

<Thinking about what?>

<Who knows?>

<Jerk.>

Even though she was insulting me, she still used her soft tone. It seemed that she was tired, which isn't surprising considering we've been on this call for over an hour now.

It was the longest phone call we've had, even though most of it was spent in silence.

<Are you tired?>

I decided to ask to confirm my suspicions

<Yes.>

<You should sleep.>

<I know.>

Something seemed to be bothering her.

<What's wrong?>

<Kiyotaka.>

<Yes?>

<Take care.>

She ended the phone call abruptly after saying that,I thought about calling back and asking what she meant but decided against it.

Take care? Was she worried about Hosen still? That could be it, but it didn't feel like it. Something else was bothering her.

I decided to let that thought rest, and instead, I went over my day again and gathered my thoughts about everything I had learned so far.

I needed more information before I could pick a partner,I had to work quickly as well everyday that goes by first years agree to partner up with different people,I wouldn't ve surprised if an entire class had already chosen their partners by now.

This exam might be harder than I thought.