Volume 2:Part 8

I was heading towards my meeting spot when I spotted two people walking ahead. It was Ike and Shinohara. They were getting closer and closer slowly throughout our second year, but neither of them could admit their feelings it was a strange thing, but it was unusually common. Two people are in love with each other but not brave enough to admit it until no one is happy in the end.

They seemed to be talking and having fun until Ike said something. I couldn't make out what he said, but Shinohara's expression immediately changed. She was mad. She started scolding him but in a somewhat low voice so people around them wouldn't hear. Ike couldn't handle it and just walked away from her. After he was gone, someone else walked up to Shinohara,Komiya from Ryuen's class. Komiya had been walking behind then for a while but probably couldn't approach Shinohara with Ike around. They started chatting, and Shinohara was clearly upset, but then he put his hand on her shoulder and smiled while speaking, probably trying to cheer her up it actually worked, and they both kept walking forward. Unfortunately, I couldn't see what happened after that since I had arrived.

Kushida was late, so I just waited around for her until she finally arrived.

"Ayanokoji-kun! Sorry I'm late. Did I keep you waiting long?"

"No..its fine."

I avoided meeting her eye and replied in a soft manner. I've been subtly changing my attitude whenever Kushida is around so she can let her guard down around me and stop perceiving me as a threat.

"Is something wrong? You don't normally ask me out. If I offended you somehow, then I apologise."

I kept acting defensively. I was giving her complete control of the situation.

"You couldn't possibly offend me, Ayanokoji-kun. I was surprised to see you reveal your abilities in maths in front of everyone like that."

After the year-end exam, Kushida was mad. She started suspecting me after I managed to win against Sakayanagi. I told her that I got lucky since I had practised chess ever since I was a child. That wasn't enough to convince her fully, so I revealed to her that I was good at maths as well. I had already planned to reveal my abilities since Horkita and I had made a bet on our scores for the first midterm in our second year. Obviously, that didn't happen since we chose to compete on the special exam with the first years instead, but it all worked out.

"Yeah, when Horikita chose to pair me up with Hosen, I decided not to hold back he was kind of scary. I also didn't even know there were leader boards."

"You're right. Hosen-kun does look very scary. I guess I understand why you'd score highly."

I nodded and looked away to make it appear like I was running away from the conversation. Kushida didn't press me too hard and just stood next to me. She seemed to be waiting for someone.

"Ugh. If I'm seen like this with you and people get the wrong idea, I might throw up."

She spoke in an angry but low voice. I was the only one close enough to hear that.

"Sorry. Should I stand further away?"

She didn't reply. We stood in silence for about two minutes before the person Kushida was waiting for finally arrived.

It was Yagami Takuya.

He greeted Kushida with a wide smile and then turned his attention towards me.

"Nice to finally meet you, Ayanokoji-senpai."

I analysed his expression while shaking his hand. If his smile was fake, then he was quite skilled because I couldn't tell. The use of the word "finally" was also interesting, but I didn't comment on it since Kushida was around, I needed her to believe I was as dumb as possible.