Volume 1:Part 14

I was walking towards Keyaki Mall when I spotted the person I was scheduled to meet. Satou-san. I greeted her with a wave and a happy smile, but I was really anxious. If my hunch was right, then this was about Kiyotaka.

"Sorry I'm late! Did I keep you waiting too long?"

"No, not at all Karuizawa-san it was only a few minutes, don't worry."

"Wanna go to the mall?"

She nodded her, and we started walking together. She clearly had something on her mind I didn't want to ask her, but I knew it was coming.

We spent over 2 hours together just walking around, shopping and having fun and then it was time to go home. She asked me to walk with her, and we headed towards an alleyway that no one walked through. It was time.

"Karuizawa-san...what's your relationship with Ayanokoji-kun?"

Huh? I knew this was about Kiyotaka, but I didn't expect her to ask it this way...

"Ayanokoji-kun? We just talk from time to time. I'm not really close to him. Why do you ask?"

"Is that true?"

She knew...it didn't matter how much I lied.

"What do you mean?"

"You were walking with him to school just the other day... you seemed pretty close to me.."

"That was just a coincidence, I happened to see him, so I walked with him because I didn't want to walk alone..."

"What about the glances..."

Glances?

"I notice that..in class you look in his direction a lot...that would've been fine on it's own but..."

She paused for a moment, trying to gather her thoughts.

"He looks at you too.. I've caught him looking in your direction multiple times...that can't be a coincidence.. I just want the truth Karuizawa-san."

Kiyotaka looks at me?

No, it wasn't like that..Kiyotaka isn't the kind of guy who does that. He probably had some purpose. It's just like he did with everything else. I knew that he didn't mean it that way...and yet I could still feel my face turn red at the thought of it...unfortunately, Satou-san also noticed.

"Do you like him?"

"Wait. Satou-san, what are you saying? I don't."

"Is that why you broke up with Hirata-kun?"

"No! Of course not! Not everything is about Kiyotaka!!"

I realised what I said and gasped. Satou-san was shocked, and I could see tears in her eyes.

"Kiyo..taka?"

I looked away. I couldn't meet her gaze.

"Yes. Kiyotaka and I are close. You were right."

"Do you like him?"

"No! I-"

Before I could finish my sentence, I felt it. Satou-san slapped me. She didn't even hit hard, but it hurt. Not the slap. But the fact that it was her. She put her trust in me that day so I could help her ask him out, and I lied to her about my relationship with Kiyotaka the entire time.

"I'm sorry. I know I hurt you, and I broke your trust."

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes, too.

"No..Karuizawa-san, I'm the one who's sorry... I shouldn't have hit you. I just got emotional and.."

I leaned in and pulled her into a hug.

"It's fine. I deserved it."

"No! I was wrong...Ayanokoji-kun rejected me anyway. I have no right to question you like this... I'm sorry."

I could feel her crying now she felt betrayed, she was guilty, and she was heartbroken.

I held her closer.

"It's okay. I promise it's okay."

She didn't say anything. Instead, she wrapped her arms around me and cried.

I thought this might be the end of my relationship with Satou-san, but I feel like this brought us closer than ever.

_____________________________________________

It was now the day before the exam. I spent the rest of the week and the entire weekend in my room. I didn't want to go out and risk someone seeing my hand, so I just stayed put.

I told Horikita to tell our classmates that I injured my hand while cooking. That way, the shock will disappear over the weekend, and hopefully, no one will ask me anything when I make it back. Yousuke and the Ayanokoji group messaged me to make sure I was fine, so I answered quickly to dissipate their worries. I told I'd make it back by the exam day, and they accepted my answer.

Kei visited my room almost every day to check up on me. We spent most of our time together studying, and then she'd tell me all kinds of stories when she was done. She stayed with me until right before curfew every day and then left my room with a warm smile and a cute wave. It was enjoyable to spend time with her instead of being alone. I've always preferred being alone, but weirdly enough, I didn't mind Kei's company.

We've been "dating" for two weeks now, and I feel like I haven't learned anything. I decided to be patient and see where that led.

I closed my eyes and started mentally preparing for tomorrow's exam.