Volume 5:Part 5

The next morning, I was walking towards the school building and ran into Horikita.

"Will you walk with me Ayanokoji-kun?"

That was strange, but I accepted with a nod.

We walked towards the convenience store while discussing the class.

"I've gotten a lot of requests about the cultural festival, but they're all just lazy. It feels like their isn't any thought put into them."

I glanced towards her and replied.

"Isn't it too early to worry about that? We should focus on our exam next week first."

She shook her head.

"That's not enough. If we truly want to excel and reach Class A, we have to be prepared. We've been given a chance by learning about the cultural festival so early. I don't want to waste it."

Horikita was right. If we wanted to reach Class A, we had to start being more aggressive and taking the initiative.

"Then maybe try and give them something to motivate them. Like a reward for anyone who comes up with a good idea."

She nodded at my words.

"That doesn't sound too bad. I might try that today if nothing changes."

We finally reached the convenience store, and she went in. I wasn't sure what Horikita could possibly want this early, but I waited for her. To my complete surprise, she walked out with an ice cream...

"That's unusual for you."

She started eating and gave me a look.

"I enjoy ice cream just like everyone else."

She reached out her hand and gave me the plastic bag she was carrying.

"This one is for you."

What? I looked inside and found another one. She got me ice cream as well. Is Horikita sick? No...is she..

"Trust me. I stopped abusing that tactic against you. I simply bought this because I was worried about you after what happened on the island. Even though it pains me to admit it, I do consider you a friend, Ayanokoji-kun."

She predicted my thoughts and tried to reassure me. Horikita admitting that she considered me a friend so casually shows how much she's grown in the past year. I reluctantly nodded and accepted her gift.

I opened the bag and the flavour she bought wasn't too bad so I started eating it. I remember the first time actually tasting one back during last year's summer vacation. It's one of the more memorable experiences I've had since coming to this school. I wonder if I'll miss something as silly as ice cream after graduation...

I wonder if I'll even miss Horikita or Yousuke or...Kei either. No. It was pointless to think about that. After graduation, I'll never see any of them again. Trying to form a bond with anyone here served no purpose.

I sighed and kept walking forward while eating,we managed to finish the ice cream before class started and made it there on time.

Class started, and nothing unusual happened. I noticed the people looking in my direction kept getting less and less, as I thought everyone stopped caring after a while.

During lunch break, I saw Sato come up to Horikita, so I decided to listen in on the conversation.

"Horikita-san, could you come meet with me later? I have something I want to show you."

She then glanced at me for some reason.

"You can come too, Ayanokoji-kun! I want you both to come and see it. Please!"