Volume 2:Part 12

After my meeting with Ryuen, everything was prepared. I was ready to face the exam.

I was walking to school as usual when I was approached by Nanase.

"Good morning, Senpai."

"Morning Nanase."

I glanced in her direction to see her standing upright with perfect posture. She was a model student by definition.

"Do your best during this exam Ayanokoji-senpai. I'll do my best as well and may the best win."

I had a feeling she wasn't talking about winning the actual exam.

"Did you form a group?"

"Yes. I'll be with Hosen-kun"

"I see."

"You disapprove, Senpai?"

"Maybe."

She huffed and looked the other way.

"Good luck, Nanase."

I walked at a faster pace to move away from her and head to class. Nanase was different. No matter what way I look at it, she is a good-hearted person. So why was she after me? Was it that look in her eye that day in the café?

There was still much I didn't know about her.

_____________________________________________

It was the day after my meeting with Satou-san and Mastushita-san. I was on my way to Kiyotaka's room to study as usual, even though he's been cancelling on me a lot lately.

I knocked on his door, and he opened it almost instantly.

"Come in."

I did as he said and laid on his bed comfortably. I've been coming here so much lately it felt like my own room. I've been leaving some stuff behind, too, but not too much, so anyone else visiting wouldn't notice.

Kiyotaka went into the kitchen to make me a coffee like usual. I dreaded this moment every time I came to his room. I hated coffee. Kiyotaka was drinking coffee one time, and he looked so cool. He was like an adult. So I got excited and lied about liking coffee, and he's been serving it to me ever since, but I've tried to avoid drinking them.
I even brought my own drinks, but some days, like today, I would forget.

"You really don't have to make me a drink every time, Kiyotaka! It's okay, really!"

"It's fine. I want to make it."

I fell on my back and started looking at the ceiling. Kiyotaka and I were "dating," but we never did anything special. He asked me to start this relationship because he wanted to experience new things. I accepted because I also wanted him to experience love. But did I even love Kiyotaka? He was someone special to me, but I couldn't say I loved him. I wondered if I should do more for him as his "girlfriend." I sighed and planted my face in my arms.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine!"

"Okay. Here, drink."

He handed me the coffee.

"Let's start studying then!"

I put the coffee aside and started pulling out my books.

"No drink first. If you're not at full strength, you can't study."

"I'm fine, really! Let's start!"

"I won't start until you drink."

Why was he so persistent? Did he know? He knew! He definitely knew! I mean, it was Kiyotaka of all people! He was luring me into his trap. And I fell right into it. No. Screw you, Kiyotaka!

"FINEE!"

I took the coffee cup and started drinking. I drank almost the entire cup in one shot. My mouth was burning, and it tasted disgustingly bad.

I looked at Kiyotaka's face. He was surprised. He didn't expect this. HA, I won! Take that!

Now that I had my moment of triumph, I quickly got up and grabbed a bottle of water from his fridge and drank it all in one go.

I looked back at Kiyotaka and noticed it again. A change in his eyes. One so slight that it almost didn't exist. What did it mean?

"Well, if you enjoy my coffee this much, I'll make another cup."

Wow. What a sore loser.

I went up to him and grabbed his arm. He was surprised at my sudden change, but he didn't stop me. I pulled him down with me, and we both sat on the ground, resting our backs against the wall. I lay my head on top of his shoulder and squeezed his arm tightly.

"My mouth is burning."

"You did drink something hot at an alarming pace."

"It hurts."

"I know."

We stayed there in silence for a few minutes.

"Should I get you another water bottle?"

"No. Let's just study."

"I can't move my arm."

After he didn't get a response, he used his free arm to try and arrange my books. After he was done, we started studying like we normally did. I didn't let go of his arm the entire time. I wonder if Kiyotaka felt anything in this situation? Did his heartbeat rise? Did he feel comforted? I couldn't answer those questions, but I hoped that it did rise and that he felt comfort. If not today, then some other day. I won't give up on Kiyotaka.

_____________________________________________

After Kei and I were done studying, she reluctantly let go of my arm and started answering the questions I had assigned her.

I checked on her answers and noticed her improvement. Slowly but surely, she was getting better. If she kept going at this pace, she'd have at least a B on the OAA by our second semester. She was currently a D-, so that would be a significant change.

"Kiyotaka."

"Yes?"

"I formed a group yesterday. I'm with Matsushita-san and Satou-san. I chose them because Matsushita-san was excellent, and Satou-san was someone I could trust. What do you think?"

"I think you made a good choice. I doubt you'd be anywhere near the bottom. With your improvements, you'll be as useful as Matsushita on this exam. Your skills as a leader will be the key to your team's performance."

She gave me a warm smile and a proud look before leaning on my shoulder again.

"I sold my card yesterday. I also arranged for Katsuragi to give you his Half off card."

"Kiyotaka."

"Yes?"

"Keep the points. Use them for yourself. I will survive this exam on my own. I can't depend on you forever."

"I see."

That was a significant change in attitude. Kei was getting more capable, and her confidence was rising. I didn't insist on giving her the points because I could already tell she wasn't getting expelled during this exam.

"Good luck, Kiyotaka."

She paused for a moment but then looked me directly in the eye.

"I won't get expelled during this exam. So you'd better not lose either, okay? I don't care whoever tries to expel you. I know they'll never do it, so I don't want to hear any excuses from you."

She had a sharp look in her eyes she wasn't worried or begging me to be safe. She was ordering me not to get expelled. Kei was changing even faster than I imagined.

"I won't lose."