Volume 5:Part 4

After leaving Kanzaki and Himeno behind, I made my way to where I had asked Katsuragi to meet me.

"You're late, Ayanokoji."

"Sorry I got held up."

I nodded at me, and we started walking together. He sighed at my response but didn't complain.

"Are you ready for this exam? If you don't play your role, your class might fail."

He looked at me with a confused look.

"My role?"

"Yes. Remember what I told you on the ship?"

I had just started a rebellion in Ichinose's class, and now I was preventing one in Ryuen's class. It's ironic, honestly.

"You think Tokito will try to make a move during this exam?"

I nodded.

"Of course. This exam is the perfect chance. You're the only one who can stop it now."

"You may be right. But why are you helping me? If a rebellion did start and Ryuen fell, wouldn't that be beneficial to you?"

He stopped walking and waited for my response.

"Who knows."

I kept walking forwards and shrugged. My role here was done. I walked back to my class and sat through the rest of the day in silence.

When it was time to leave, Kei walked up to me.

"Walk home with me, Kiyotaka."

She gave me a cute smile and put her hands on my desk. I nodded, then pushed my chair back and got up to leave with her. I felt my classmates looking at me once more. It seemed they really couldn't get used to me and Kei dating.

"What did the girls ask you yesterday?"

I decided to start some small talk but she looked surprised. She probably didn't expect me to take the initiative like this in public.

"Umm, well. They asked when we started going out. They asked who confessed first. They kept asking why I accepted, and some of them even insulted you and said I deserve wayyyyyy better."

She giggled while putting her hand over her mouth. Did the thought of others badmouthing me really please her so much?

"Did you stand up for me?"

I decided to ask even though I knew the answer.

"Nope. I just laughed."

She looked at me as if scanning my face, then punched my arm for no reason.

"I'm kidding, jerk! You really have no faith in me, huh? I told them to back off and said that I wouldn't let them speak about you like that!"

"I see."

She wasn't satisfied with my response. She crossed her arms and started pouting while looking away from me.

"How do you feel?"

She was surprised at my question and looked confused.

"How do you feel now that they all know? Do you regret it?"

She started thinking but shook her head immediately.

"I don't regret accepting. And I don't regret making it public either. I feel like this will all be worth it in the end."

I didn't understand what she meant, but I nodded at her. She grabbed my arm slightly and rested her head on my shoulder while we walked to the dorms together.