Volume 4.5:Part 13

It was now the final day of vacation. I hadn't called Kei yet. I was about to do that when I received a text from Chabashira asking to meet me. I didn't particularly want to see her, but it could be important so I decided to go.

I made my way through the halls, trying to be discreet since it was past curfew, until I eventually made it.

"You're asking to meet pretty late. What do you need?"

"As rude as ever Ayanokoji."

"I don't particularly enjoy speaking with you. I think you can understand that."

Chabashira was one of the only people I had a slight dislike towards. She used my past to threaten me last year in order to reach Class A. I was even willing to go as far as getting her fired, but she was saved by my father's arrival.

"I guess I can't blame you."

I didn't respond and instead waited.

"Do you think the class can make it to class A?"

I didn't care enough to humour her.

"It's none of my business."

She sighed but understood.

"The next special exam was announced. I'm afraid it's going to be very difficult. I don't know if the class can make it."

She sounded quite troubled while mentioning the next exam.

"I see."

I noticed a piano nearby and wanted to try playing it. I've learned all about it in the white room but haven't seen one ever since I left. I sat down, and Chabashira spoke to me.

"Ayanokoji."

"What is it?"

"I see how hard it's been for you lately. Being targeted this way. I'm sorry."

She was actually apologising for her actions. She was clearly changing just as much as the students. I didn't respond but instead started playing the piano. She looked surprised at first but immediately became impressed. I suppose she didn't expect I could do that. It was quite enjoyable using the piano. As soon as I finished my song, Chabashira clapped. But one other person joined her.

"You're quite skilled Ayanokoji-kun is there anything you can't do?"

Tsukishiro came into the room and sat down near Chabashira.

Chabashira was flustered that our secret meeting was interrupted, but I wasn't too worried.

"I would like to speak to Ayanokoji-kun alone if possible."

Chabashira looked towards me, and I nodded, so she took her leave.

"Why did you wish to speak to me, Director?"

"Quite a few reasons. First off, I'll be leaving the school now. My time here is done."

As expected, he was only staying here for the first semester.

"I see."

"Do you know why I came here in the first place, Ayanokoji-kun?"

It was a strange question.

"To get me expelled. That man sent you."

"Not quite. I came here of my own will. Your father even objected to sending me here. He didn't care too much about getting you expelled. He said if the white room students can't do it, then he'll deal with you accordingly after graduation."

I thought that might be the case but didn't worry about it too much. It didn't matter why Tsukishiro was here. All I thought about was surviving.

"I see. Why did you come here then?"