Volume 3:Part 8

I woke up earlier than everyone else as I usually did and started packing my things. Nanase got out of her tent about 30 minutes after I did and immediately started packing as well.

"Ready to go?"

"Yes, let's head out, Senpai."

Nanase and I made it our first two areas early and completed any tasks nearby. I held back on any task that a good participation prize. When I was with Hamaguchi, I managed to sneak a look at his points and noticed how much higher mine were. If my plan worked, I wouldn't need to worry about the leader boards anyway, but just in case, I started lowering my points a little.

My goal for the first half of this exam was to earn a significant amount of points to test how Tsukishiro would try to sabotage me. I had no issue whatsoever with any tasks,areas, or any kind of malfunction, so I immediately ruled out a plan to get me to the bottom five, he was going to attack me in a different way. During the second half, I would have a few things to take care of, but so far, everything has been going to plan.

On our way to the third area, I noticed Nanase was getting fatigued. She did eat a lot more than she needed to yesterday, probably out of guilt, so it made sense why she'd be slower, we also got unlucky and most of our areas were somewhat far from each other so we had to run each time. I also noticed that she didn't seem to have slept well. When I woke up, she was already awake but pretending to be sleeping inside her tent.

"Give me your bag."

She looked at me in surprise.

"You're getting slower. If you can't keep up, then either leave or give me your bag."

"Just give me a chance. I can keep up even when I'm holding it, please!"

A chance? Why was she so insistent on keeping her bag? I knew why she wanted to follow me, but I didn't understand why she insisted on pushing herself. It wasn't out of goodwill either. Judging by our time together, she should know that holding her back wouldn't exactly be too much of a bother for me.

"Just give it to me. Take it easy today so you can keep up tomorrow."

She looked down in shame and handed me her bag.

"I'm sorry, Ayanokoji-senpai."

"Don't worry about it, let's just hurry."

Even without her bag, she was still a few steps behind, so I deliberately slowed down but not too much that she would notice. I didn't want to increase my points too much now, so I didn't care about the early bird bonus.

As I thought we were too late. I sat down and decided to rest up and handed Nanase some water.

"Don't eat anything. You already ate too much yesterday. At this rate, you might throw up if you're running around after me."

If Nanase wanted to keep up, she needed to focus on her food consumption. If she was running all day on a full stomach, that won't end well for her.

"I understand. I knew it was too much, but I didn't want to offend Amikura-senpai more than I already have."

"You didn't offend her. She was guilt tripping you. I can't believe you fell for that."

"I knew that. But what if I was wrong and she wasn't? I couldn't take that chance, so I ate anyway."

I see. So Nanase didn't even want to take the 1% risk that she might offend anyone. However, that didn't seem to apply to me with the looks and strange behaviour she showed around me from time to time.

We sat around in silence until our final area was announced, and it was around a mountain.

"Let's take the long path."

"No, Ayanokoji-senpai, please! I promise I can keep up. Don't change your plans for me."

She thought I was going around simply to accommodate her condition. It's true that the ideal path would be to cross the mountain, but I didn't necessarily need to follow what was ideal anymore. Going around was less troublesome, especially with Nanase's state.

"Fine."

I wanted to understand why she insisted so hard on keeping up with me, so I accepted.

We made our way over to the mountain, and I gestured for Nanase to go first. She nodded and reached out to grab her bag, but I moved away.

"If you can climb up, then I'll let you carry it."

She was upset but reluctantly nodded and started climbing. I watched her closely and noticed her form. She wasn't used to this, but she was knowledgeable and managed to keep herself from falling until she slipped.

Nanase came tumbling down. It was a silly mistake, but one that would've caused her a serious injury if I wasn't there. I caught her before she hit the ground and let her down slowly.

"Just go around. I'll make it to my area and wait for you there."

"I can do it, I promise!"

"No, you can't. Just go around Nanase. Why do you insist on keeping up with me? You'll get yourself hurt."

It was illogical. Nanase didn't respond. I gave her her bag and started climbing up myself. Then I noticed her. She was still following me and tried climbing up herself. She almost fell again but I caught her hand. I slowly climbed back down towards her.

"Take this. Put them both on your back."

I handed her my bag, and she was confused but did what I asked and put on both of our bags.

I grabbed onto the mountain, taking position and then.

"Grab onto me. If you insist on keeping up, then I'll carry you up the mountain."

"No...I couldn't possible do tha-"

"Just hurry. You already wasted my time, and we're probably going to miss the bonus. Grab onto my back and hold on tightly."

I wanted to hurry things along, so I brought up the bonus reward to guilt trip her. She didn't say another word and instead put her arms around my waste and held on. I started climbing the mountain while Nanase held on more tightly than before. She was probably scared since her fate was in my hands.

We finally made it to the top and started making our way across. We repeated the same process climbing down, and then I took back my bag, but she insisted on carrying hers.

When we made it to the final area, we were too late as expected. I decided to give up on any more tasks, and we set up camp.

"Ayanokoji-senpai."

"Yes, Nanase?"

"I'm sorry. I promised I wouldn't drag you down, but I burdened you today. If you wish to continue travelling without me, then I will leave."

"That won't be necessary. I don't mind travelling alongside you. It's actually fun."

That was true. Travelling with Nanase was surprisingly enjoyable. Our similar thought process made things very easy. Since we both followed the ideal path, all it took was a nod or a hand gesture to understand what the other was saying. It led to a somewhat comforting silence on our way from area to area.

She was surprised at my words but gave me a warm smile. This time, it was genuine.

"I had fun too during those last few days. Thank you, Ayanokoji-senpai."

Even though we only spent a few days together, my bond with Nanase was undoubtedly getting stronger. we started to understand each other and enjoy each other's company.

I wonder.

When the time comes for Nanase to betray me.

Will she hesitate?