Volume 3:Part 9

It was now the morning of the 7th day. By the end of today, we'll be officially halfway through this exam. I immediately noticed the sky, specifically the clouds, which were troublesome. If it rained today, then it might interfere with my plans. It was a good thing I lowered my points on purpose, but I still had a significantly higher amount than one would expect from someone like me. After I was a nobody with a C on the OAA who's taking the exam alone.

I looked at my tablet and noticed an emergency alert. Apparently, the school noticed the same thing I did and sent out a warning to the students in case it rains. How unfortunate.

I was forced to wake up Nanase since she was sleeping until way later than usual. She got up and immediately apologised, then started packing.

We made our way towards the first area, Nanase was keeping up fine, so it seemed like taking it easy yesterday worked out. However, I noticed a complete shift in her attitude. She was completely unmotivated the whole time and didn't even smile. It was quite unusual.

I managed to score the early bird bonus and then made my way to three tasks around the area,I got first place in one of them and took the participation prize in the other two. Nanase, however, scored poorly in every single one. She wasn't trying.

After that we had to go to our second area but we ended up arriving late and missing out on the bonus. I decided to skip out on tasks and rest up instead. That decision wasn't ideal, but Nanase didn't say a thing about it she just followed what I said.

Our third area was announced and we had reached a problem. There was a mountain between us once again. I decided to go around because if it rained while we were up there, then there would be a high chance we could get sick.

"Ayanokoji-senpai, I ask that we please head over the mountain. I know you made your decision, but I simply can't agree."

I kept walking forward but noticed that she had stopped, so I did the same.

"You've been uncooperative all day. Why did you decide to speak up now?"

She didn't respond.

"I won't go over the mountain. It's too dangerous."

"Then I'm afraid we must part ways here. I will go that way even if I'm forced to go alone."

During our entire journey, Nanase questioned me sometimes, but always agreed to whatever I decided and never objected to anything in this manner.

It seems like it's time.

"Then let's go."

I turned around and followed her. Nanase nodded and started walking.

We both knew what was about to happen. We had expected it ever since we started travelling together. We always knew, but neither of us had dared to mention it.

We finally made our way to the top when Nanase stopped straight in her tracks. She took off her bag and looked me in the eye for the first time today. The look on her face wasn't negative. It wasn't anger. It wasn't hatred. It was disappointment. Disappointment in herself.

"I'm afraid this is where our time together ends Ayanokoji-senpai."

She paused for a moment but then spoke again.

"You won't be making it to your designated area."

I took my bag off as well.

"And why is that?"

"Because I will stop you. You don't belong in this school Ayanokoji-senpai."

She shook her head a few times.