Volume 2:Part 5

The school day went by in a class. After our class, I got up and started walking behind Horkita so we could visit the student council, but before we could leave, someone called out to her.

"Horikita girl."

It was Koenji. Everyone in the class looked in his direction. It was unusual for Koenji to even address any of us. Horikita was also somewhat shocked but kept her composure.

"Do you need something, Koenji-kun?"

"Yes. I ask to borrow a moment of your time."

"Sorry, I'm busy right now. What is this about?"

"I had thought your schedule might be busy, so please take this. I'm free between 7 and 9 pm today call me and we should arrange a meeting."

Koenji gave her a card with his phone number on it like he was some kind of businessman. Horikita was still confused, but she took it out of his hand and nodded.

"What was that about?"

I shrugged without looking in her direction.

"It's bad enough you won't be helping in this exam when you've got such a useful card. At least help me understand Koenji-kun's behaviour."

I had some idea of what Koenji might want, but truthfully, even I couldn't fully understand him.

"Tell me, Horikita. If I didn't sell my card but instead tried and got first place. Would that satisfy you?"

"What kind of? Of course it would! We'd jump classes instantly."

"We?"

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying if you can truly call it a team effort. I would be doing most of the work. No. I'd be doing ALL the work. If such a shortcut will satisfy you, then you'll never make it to class A."

Horikita clicked her tongue in annoyance. However, instead of yelling at me or complaining, she analysed my words as harsh as they were and seemed to understand my point. If Horikita was satisfied with reaching Class A without actually earning her place there, then she'd never grow after I said as much she accepted my point but refused to verbally agree with me.

We made it to the student council office and went in after knocking. Inside two figures greeted us, the student council president himself and his vice president Kiriyama.

"You requested to see me Horikita? No... that doesn't sound right.."

He had his hand on his chin and started thinking.

"Mind if I call you Suzune instead?"

Horikita seemed to disapprove but nodded her head reluctantly.

"Well, Suzune. What could you possibly want from me? And might I ask why you brought company?"

"This is Ayanokoji-kun. I believe you've already met he's only here to accompany me because we're friends. I came here today to ask you for permission to join the student council."

"Yes, we've met. Why do you want to join the student council?"

Nagumo eyed me suspiciously before moving his gaze back to Horikita. He probably already figured out what was going on, but I knew he wouldn't refuse her.

"I thought you'd already understand the reason. I want to follow in my brother's footsteps. No. I want to be even greater than he was."

Nagumo chuckled upon hearing Horikita's ambitions. Even though the reason she's here is due to our bet, there wasn't a lie in her words. She did want to be greater than her brother.

"I refuse. What's the real reason you're here?"

He was testing her. But she didn't budge.

"If you wanted to truly follow in his footsteps, why didn't you apply to the student council last year?"

"Because I was naive. I was too immature to make any impact during my time here. If I had joined last year, I would've utterly failed."

Nagumo was once again amused while Kiriyama hadn't even moved this entire time.

"And now you won't fail?"

"No. I don't believe I will. I can't surpass my brother yet, but I believe by the end of my time here at this school, I would have become a greater student council president than he or you."

Nagumo smirked after hearing her say that. To be directly challenged in that way and by his rivals sister no less was something he didn't expect but openly welcomed.

"I accept. Tomorrow, visit my office, and you'll officially become a member."

He glanced in my direction, and his smile turned into disgust when he saw me.

"And don't bring anyone else next time."

Horikita was clearly nervous. This had been easier than she expected, but she refused to show any emotion on her face. Kiriyama, however, glanced at me for the first during this conversation. He needed something.

After bowing out of respect, we walked out of the office together. Horikita leaned against the wall and sighed heavily when we walked out. She was clearly more nervous than I expected.

"That went well."

"Yes. I didn't think he'd accept me this easily."

"I knew he wouldn't refuse you."

She glanced at me in anger.

"If you knew that, couldn't you have said something so I wouldn't be so on edge?"

"I forgot to mention it."

She jabbed my arm.

"Meet me at 7. You're coming with me to see Koenji-kun."

It seemed my words hadn't reached her after all.

"I'm not asking you to interfere. Just watch and give me some thoughts when we're done."

"Fine. I'll be there."

"What will you do now?"

"I'll wait here."

Horikita was confused by my actions once again, but she had gotten used to it at this point, so she just walked off.

I waited in front of the office while texting Kei. I told her I'd be busy today, so we had to skip our study session. She was disappointed but understood.

I also noticed a lot of students had posted their cards for sale online. Most of them were cheap since no one was dumb enough to sell a special card. Except me ofcouese. I posted my special card online and decided to wait for someone to contact me.

Finally, the person I was waiting for left the office. Kiriyam handed me a piece of paper and walked in the other direction. I left quickly so Nagumo wouldn't see me and read what was written. Apparently, Kiriyama wanted to meet me. He specified the time and place in his note, and luckily, it was just before our meeting with Koenji.

I decided to check out what he might need since I did owe him a favour after all.