Volume 2:Part 9

I walked out of the café and headed to the convenience to grab some necessities before heading home. But it appeared that making it home won't be that easy since she was still following me. It was Tsubaki Sakurako. She had been sitting on a nearby table watching my conversation with Yagami and Kushida she left right after me and was still following me even now. I tried to ignore her and went into the store, grabbed all I needed, and checked out. She headed in with me and checked out right after I did, but she ended up only buying a pack of gum.

"Hey."

When I started walking away, she finally called out to me. I stood still and replied without looking back.

"Do you need something?"

"I want to talk. You don't need to be a jerk."

I sighed and looked back at her.

"Then talk."

"I'm waiting for someone."

She sat down in front of the convenience store and started chewing her gum. She was sitting on the stairs, so I moved closer to her and sat down a few steps lower. I could hear her chewing gum behind me.

"Did you find a partner?"

"Huh? As if you care!"

It's true. I didn't care.

"I'm starting some small talk. If I'm bored, then I'll leave."

"Ugh. I did find someone, and we barely made it."

"Good for you."

She sighed and looked to the side while her chin was resting on her hand.

"When did Utomiya say he'll arrive?"

"How did you? Nevermind. He was supposed to be here already. He's late."

"You seem upset. Is it because you were forced into this awkward conversation due to his late arrival?"

"Yes."

She didn't hold anything back.

"Why don't you like me?"

She was surprised at the question but didn't hide her dislike for me.

"You're a jerk."

What a vague answer.

"You've said that already."

"I know."

I decided to let it rest and sat in silence for a few minutes. Finally, I saw Utomiya making his way to us.

"I'm so sorry to have kept you waiting Ayanokoji-senpai. A student came up to me asking for help, and I had to g-"

"I don't care. Please just say what you need."

Tsubaki giggled at my response but immediately stopped herself, seemingly frustrated that I caused her to laugh.

"Right... sorry. I wish to speak with you about Hosen."

"What about him?"

"We want to work with you. One of the students from my class was expelled. I believe Hosen did it. In fact, there's no one else who could've done it."

"What makes you say that?"

"We got into a fight early on. He was bullying my classmate, so I came to his defence. It almost got physical, but Yagami-kun from Class B intervened. He talked us out of it and managed to resolve the situation peacefully. After that, Hosen threatened me and said he'd attack me where I'm weakest. I'm afraid he probably meant my classmates."

It made sense. But there was more to it. It's highly unlikely that Hosen caused that expulsion. I analysed him, and I can safely say that he's not cunning enough to do something like that.

Utomiya spoke nothing but the truth. His feelings for his classmates were genuine, but this was all arranged by someone else. Tsubaki. It's unlikely that she caused the expulsion herself, but she probably decided to take advantage of it and manipulate Utomiya into asking for my help. I'd let my guard down and be stabbed in the back. Class 1-C would receive 20 million private points and recover from their loss. It was a good plan that would've worked had they tried it on anyone else.

"What does that have to do with me?"

I decided to play dumb.

"I need your help to get Hosen expelled. He has already attacked you once before and will do so again."

"He attacked me? Who told you that?"

Utomiya was caught. He couldn't respond.

"Because he wanted the private points offered by the student council. Just like we did when we approached you."

Tsubaki intervened, saving Utomiya. She revealed her ulterior motive during the last special exam. It was a good move. Admitting  to something like that wasn't easy, so when she reveals the truth to me, I'm likely to trust her. Tsubaki was clearly special.

"Did you know? Is that why you didn't partner up with me?"

She was done playing.

"Who knows?"

She clicked her tongue at me.

"Did you have fun while manipulating Utomiya into asking for my help?"

She was taken aback. Her calm demeanour disappeared for the first time.

"What are you talking about?"

Utomiya was still a few steps behind.

"I'm leaving."

I got up and walked past Utomiya, giving him and Tsubaki my back.

"Wait. Ayanokoji-senpai. Hosen is a threat to both of us. We need to take care of him together."

Utomiya was persistent. Even though he was confused, he continued pressuring me.

"A threat? I don't consider Hosen very dangerous."

Utomiya couldn't respond. But Tsubaki got up and asked.

"What about me?"

I stopped walking and glanced back at her before responding.

"You're not even worth acknowledging."

Tsubaki was clearly frustrated. Her plan had failed, and her facade had crumbled. I kept walking forward and ignored the both of them.

Tsubaki was clearly skilled. She could rival Ryuen and maybe even Sakayanagi. But she was nothing but child's play for me. I could see through her entire play in seconds. It might be troublesome to antagonise her, but she already seemed to dislike me, so it didn't matter.

It was a long day, but I finally made it to my room,I had to cancel on Kei again, unfortunately. I checked to see if anyone wanted to buy my card, but still nothing.

I laid in bed thinking about everything that's happened so far. Surprisingly, I was kind of looking forward to this exam.