60

Mary leaned against the wall down the street of a certain home they were watching. The night was very quiet and very uneventful. Mary could practically hear the silence, the quiet, agonisingly long silence, only to be interrupted by bold crickets or tired birds in the night. She could hear the wind out running each other through the trees, bullying the leaves into dropping off their branches.

Mary's eyes followed a leaf's cold and fluttery journey to the ground. It landed in a little puddle.

Mary leaned against the mossy wall, it was moist against her back, but she didn't mind to actually feel something against her skin other than still wind.

Jason stood next to her, a little straighter in posture then her, while Harold sat down on the ground mixing imaginary water in a can he had found on the way over here. He picked up a pebble and dropped it in the can. He rolled it around and it let off a noise more annoying than the silent streets.

After a moment, Mary's mind couldn't stand it as she kicked the can clean from his hands and leaned against the wall and folded her arms.

"Looks like someone is growing impatient," Harold observed as the can shot through the air and back into his hand.

Mary blew some hair from her eyes.

"You've had to wait longer than this, Mary. How's this any different?" Jason asked looking to the river across the way. The house they were standing before was in an awkward kind of place, on the same street as a roaring, man-made river, in a dead end area and in a very remote and almost unpopulated part of the whole city.

Mary didn't mind the waiting, she didn't actually know why she was so annoyed, why she was so jumpy or fidgety or impatient. She had waited an entire week with Jason once for someone to attempt to rob her. She walked up and down one street thousands of times hoping to catch the perp, there wasn't even a 100% that they would've picked her.

She had no explanation, she just shrugged as she stared at the water, "I must be tired, sir."

Jason found that unlikely also. But he didn't press it, he just looked to Harold, who seemed to be thinking similarly, and just looked to the floor.

Mary stared at the leaf that had fallen from the tree before and just stared at it. She remembered working with Jason to gain the ability to withstand standing in one place waiting for something for long periods of time. She sighed as she decided to practise this. She stared at the leaf, everything around it going blurry from her concentration and for a moment she was lost in time.

She didn't know how long she had stared at that little leaf for, or how long she actually lost focus of it. But after a moment, her mind managed to notice the leaf was gone. She blinked several times at the realisation that her object had moved away.

Her eyes darted about looking for it, but she ended up seeing something else entirely; a shadow without a caster.

It was on the road, it stretched from one side to the other and looked like someone spilled a bucket of shadowy water on the ground. "Umm... sir?"

Jason touched her shoulder. We know...

Mary rested her hands to her back. A Shade was here, so who was it shielding?

Mary looked around for whoever it might be, but there was nobody there. She scolded herself for trying to find someone who would've been hidden. All remained quiet for a couple of moments, the three of them remained silent and quiet, trying not to be noticed or be deemed a threat to the Shade and alert whoever was here.

But after a moment, both Jason and Harold pulled their weapons from their belts, "We've been made," Jason informed.

Harold pulled his badge out and held it forwards. Jason copied, opening his compass to try and catch it or make it run away. Mary pulled out a gun from under her skirt and strapped it to her wrist, she clicked it into gear and was ready to shoot. Harold and Jason flashed the Shade, it yelled out in distress as it was hacked away by light. Several came to its aid and they were soon surrounded by them. Mary was just attempting to keep them off her or from encircling her and trapping them inside. Jason and Harold managed to fight through them.