133

Neon's unconsciousness was one of the most uncomfortable positions he believed himself ever to have been in. He found the will to move when he heard loud crashing around him and somewhat feared for his safety.

He forced his eyes opened, and watched as a great wave seem to erupt in the distance and spread through the rest before eventually calming down into the water. Neon forgot where he was for a long moment, simply staring at the sideway world until he came to enough senses to lift his head and sit up.

Some patches of the grass he was sitting on had caught alight, some still burned while others were nothing more than large patches of ash. The result left a smoke smell in the air, not that it differed from the one lingering atop of buildings.

Neon looked over to the bridge and watched as parts of it crashed into the water in the distance. Neon watched until the water slowly started to cease its rippling.

Neon didn't know if it was morning or if he was willing for there to be some light, but either way he seemed to be able to see across the water to the city, the stupid city that he had grown to practically hate.

The smoke that lingered in the lower parts of the air surrounded Neon like a blurry black and white picture. Neon's throat was sore, but a sudden noise made him call out. He looked around. "Kid?" he called. He forced himself to his feet and almost staggered over, "Kid! Kid? Are you here?" Neon called, he started coughing as he managed to walk.

Neon would've gone on like this forever, simply calling into the thinner smoke for Kid. He tripped over his own feet and growled at the pain running up his legs.

I know you can hear me you brat! Neon mused in painful anger as he felt his eyes sting with tears. For Christ's sake answer me!

Kid let off a whimper as she revealed herself through the smoke in a running frenzy. Neon hardly managed to register her until he felt her touch. Neon held onto her tightly in a hug as she squeezed his neck tightly and whined slightly into his neck.

Neon's grip around her was almost constricting, but Kid had a similar grip on him. Neon soon fell back and sat on his legs, making Kid stand normally while holding him.

She was crying as she leaned into him.

"Thank God you're okay..." Neon admitted as he picked her up, "Come on, we need to get out of here."

Kid was placed on his hip, "Where's Dominick?"

Neon made a subtly gulp as he tried to think of a way to say what happened. His silence seemed to be answer enough.

Kid's hands curled into fists around Neon's shirt, "W-was he suffering?" Kid asked.

Neon shook his head. "I don't think so."

Kid suddenly started patting him down, bashing against his chest and even climbing over his shoulder and almost falling down his back. "Kid! What the heck?" Neon hardly managed to catch her as he put her on the ground.

"Where's the necklace?" Kid asked.

Neon stared at her, "I destroyed it. It's over, you and Live aren't tied to him anymore. You're free from it."

Kid stared at him with the most frightened eyes, "Why would... why would you do that?"

Neon stared at her confused, "What?"

"What did you do that for?" Kid asked.

"Is-isn't that what you wanted me to do? Now neither of you have to be controlled by someone," Neon informed.

Kid shook her head, "You don't get it..."

"Get what?" Neon was growing annoyed.

"Neon you can't save us from what we are," Kid informed, "You've released Live. She's not bound by commands anymore..." Kid looked like she was going to burst into tears.