69

Neon was crying now, no longer caring for his image, no longer caring if anybody saw him...

He had reached his breaking point...

He had broken... he admitted it.

He cried as he leaned over Mel and punched the ground.

Kid allowed the blade to slip from her grip, and pressed her hands to her mouth. Not so much in disbelief but in fright that she had to do that.

Neon was still crying as his face disappeared into Mel's body. Jesse and Goldie looked to Neon as he attempted not to cry by hiding his face. Jesse and Goldie knew all too well what Neon was feeling, yet at the same time they knew they probably wouldn't even be able to comprehend it.

Kid slowly kneeled to Mel and Neon and let off a sad whine as she went to touch Mel. But Neon shot out his hand grabbed Kid by the wrist, it was so sudden and so tight it sent an imitate rush of pain up Kid's hand. "Don't touch her," he hissed, his grip so tight on her that both of them were trembling under the pressure.

Kid felt tears spring to her eyes from the pain as Neon finally let her go, but practically threw her back.

Kid fell to her bottom and attempted to get up, only for Neon to violently push her over. "Don't you dare touch her!" he snapped.

Kid remained sitting on the ground half a meter away. After Mr Wood had been properly subdued, Goldie slowly walked over to Neon. He was still leaning over Mel and didn't want to let her go. Neon had a different reaction to when Goldie walked over, Goldie kneeled down beside him, "we should go..."

"No!" Neon snapped, "I... I'm not leaving her," he informed, his hands trembling, "I can't leave her."

"Neon..." Goldie slowly stood up and grabbed Neon under the arms and forcefully lifted him up. Neon objected, yelling out, telling Goldie to put him down, but Goldie knew not to listen to him as he walked away. Neon managed to turn around in Goldie's grip and saw Mel slowly getting further away, "no! Please... don't leave her behind!" he begged as he attempted climbing over Goldie to get back to her.

Jesse walked over to Kid and scooped her up. "Come on... we should leave..." he informed looking to Mel and then everybody he was forced to shoot down. There were still several people around who were in their hypnotised state, walking around now without anything to aid their existence.

Neon was still struggling in Goldie's grip and almost managed to escape, but Neon was jerked back because Goldie still had him by the arm. Goldie pulled him back and forcefully hugged him so he wouldn't run away.

Neon continued to struggle even when Goldie jumped into the air to get to the airship, Mr Wood following behind him.

Kid looked to Mel with sad eyes as she clung onto Jesse, she looked to him with pleading eyes, and he sighed, "you did what you had to, Kid." Kid didn't feel any better knowing this.

Several large bird suddenly came barrelling down from the dark sky above and engulfed both Jesse with Kid and even scooped up Mel for Neon's sake.

Kid wanted some form of warmth, she liked being up so high in the sky for the view, but now... she closed her eyes and snuggled into Jesse's shirt so she didn't have to look. She didn't want to see the coldness of the world below her, she didn't want to see what remained of the little mud town, what had happened...

And what seemed to continue to happen.

*

Mary was in the common room, attempting to calm herself down from her last mission. She remained sitting on the ground with her eyes closed and breathing softly. They had arrived back yesterday, and since then her mind has just been a mess.