Chapter 5

I floated over the forest and found Bill in a secluded clearing. He sat on the ground drawing strange patterns in the dirt. I smiled as I could feel the journal in my hands.

"Bill, I got something for you!" I said cheerfully.

Bill made no reaction and continued muttering to himself, his eyes were shut tight and his fingers traced the patterns into the ground.

"Bill." I said less happily.

He ignored me.

"Bill!"

I saw him tense and he whirled around. "What is it?! I need to concentrate!"

I rolled my eyes. "I got journal 3!" I waved it around.

Bill smiled and nodded before his smile disappeared. "Good, set it down by me. Try to find the other journals please, i'll be here." he turned away and closed his eyes again.

I growled and dropped the journal down. Maybe I should try to crack some information out of Shooting Star while I wait... I smiled and nodded to myself before I floated back to the Mystery Shack. I put on the Pine Tree suit and voice and knocked onto her window again.

She opened it surprised. "D-Dipper, um, how are you back here?" She asked.

Something was wrong... She was suspicious for some reason...I needed a moment to find out what.

"Please, I need water before I can speak, I'm so thirsty." I begged.

Shooting Star nodded and raced out of the room. I quickly began searching. I looked through and under her bed. I looked through Pine Tree's and then I finally pulled out her sketch pad. No. Pine Tree was on it...she was using it as a vessel for him. I fumed and made it burst into flames and through the ashes out the window. How dare she! Shooting Star came running back in with water.

I gulped it down though I wasn't thirsty at all. "Thank you..." I sighed.

"How are you back here? You said you couldn't because of Bill!" Her eyes were wide.

"I know, but Bill is doing something strange, he is doing something that makes him travel out of my mind unintentionally. He's been gone for a while...he's planning something big." I told her.

"Yeah, I already guessed." Shooting Star muttered.

I sat down beside her, gloating to myself of how gullible she was. "Do you have any plans to stop him?" I asked.

"Do you? Why did you need the journal?" She countered.

"Mabel, I would tell you, but I cant, just trust me." I said.

Mabel looked up at me. "Ok..." She sighed. "And I'm trying to think of a plan, but Bill has your body and Eleanor would stop me...but she can't hurt me anyways. So, I have a leg on that...I guess."

I growled to myself in anger of that weakness. "Are you sure you don't have any plans at all?" I pressed.

"No..." She lowered her head. "God...I can't believe this happened to Eleanor...she was such a good friend and seemed so good, but them she took that deal and became a Dream Demon and became evil. Her parents must be freaking out."

I jumped. My parents. I remembered that I had warned them, but had they taken it seriously, that warning? I shook my head. Stop thinking about them... I thought angrily. I fixed my hat quickly, feeling strange in Pine Tree's body.

"Yeah, I know." I whispered.

"I mean, maybe there is a way to help Eleanor so she's good again...maybe we can help her. I know she probably is trapped behind a wall, screaming to let her out as this demon does all the work." Shooting Star muttered.

I furrowed my brow. That's what she thought? After all the evil I had done she still had hope, hope that I was still good inside.

"Wow." I said.

"What?"

"I cant believe you still believe in me- uh, her- I mean." I said.

"Well...you told me to just hope and that's what I'm going to do, hope that she's still good."

"There is no way to turn her back Mabel, there's no point in trying." I told her.

"Don't say that Dipper."

"But it's true." I pressed.

"No, it's not, there is no way you'd know for sure." Shooting Star persisted.

I sighed. "I should probably go before Bill comes back."

"Are you sure? You just got here!" Shooting Star exclaimed.

"Yes, I'm sure, bye."

She waved good bye and I climbed down and ran into the forest. I hid behind a tree and clutched my chest. She still believed in me... That was just so...so strange.