Chapter 58

Bill's POV

Arrow knew something was up, she kept asking me. She knew, when I kissed her, that I had to before it happened.

She was silent, standing beside me. Arrow would raise her gaze to mine, asking a silent question, but I refused to answer. It was a lot better than her knowing....

I waited, anxiety building up for midnight.

"Bill, please tell me-"

"No. It doesn't concern you anyways.... Please just let us enjoy this night as much as we can." I begged her.

Arrow looked at me with sad eyes and leaned against my side, closing her eyes softly. "If-if that's what you want." She sounded unsure.

I hugged her tightly, and Arrow could tell something was going to happen. "We'll talk about it later, just not now."

Arrow sighed, silently agreeing with me.

"Midnight's almost here... We're gonna propose the toast and..." I trailed off, "you get what I'm saying."

Arrow nodded into me, still confused.

I drew away, forcing in a smile. "Now.... excuse me while I clean up the champagne and glass mess you made."

Arrow punched me affectionately and rolled her eyes as I walked away.

I went back over to the wall where the liquid was spilt all over the tile floor. I went to pick it up, not bothering to use my magic, and realized my hands were trembling. I took my hand back, swallowing. I was more nervous more midnight than I expected... I flashed some of the blue magic at the mess so it cleaned up so I could breath carefully.

"You're a demon," I reminded myself, "you don't need to be scared of anything..." I closed my eye for a moment and turned back around and walked back out to Arrow. One of the demons came up, telling me we had five minutes till midnight. It was like the countdown to New Year's Day but with so much more anxiety and oppression.

I nodded to it and walked back to Arrow. "We have five minutes till the toast - four if you count the time we give the toast."

Arrow nodded. "What's the toast for again? Or...did you never tell me?"

I sighed. "You don't have to say a word. Just stand by my side and act like you care about being here."

Arrow sighed. "I may not care about being here, but in all honesty, I care about being with you."

I kissed her lightly on the lips, resisting the urge to go farther, and nodded. "How sweet of you to remind me."

Arrow blushed slightly and followed me up to where the band usually played. I stopped just below the steps.

I took a deep breath. "I just want you to know that I'm glad you like being with me...." I sighed.

Arrow raised an eyebrow. "You sound like you're saying goodbye."

I chuckled. "I'm not; I just felt like saying that."

Arrow nodded, uncertain. I waved my hand in the air and two new glasses of champagne appeared. "One for you, and one for me."

Arrow took the one I offered and put on a small smile as we stepped up the stairs. Once we reached the top, I made a butterknife appear and lightly tapped it on the glass.

All the demons stopped mingling and looked forward to me.

I stood calmly, used to a big crowd. "As you all know, tomorrow is a big day. In only a short amount of time, midnight shall reach and therefore  the party shall really begin!"