Chapter 7

Eleanor's POV

The next day I did my best to avoid Pine Tree. He kept on popping up randomly and tried to give me a life lesson talk and every time I wished I could just blast him. Bill was too focused on his stupid plans to even thank me for bringing him that journal a couple days ago. I sat up on the roof of the Mystery Shack, debating whether or not to sneak in as Pine Tree.

I finally floated down, as myself, and tapped on the window.

Shooting Star ran up and opened it. Before she could even react I zipped in. She screamed and fell backwards she scrambled to her feet and searched through her bed for her grappling hook. I smiled at her frantic moves.

"What are you doing here?!" She screamed as she aimed the hook at me.

I simply smiled. "Don't think you can hurt me, that would be a useless sliver of hope Shooting Star."

Shooting Star didn't lower her aim. "Why are you here? You can't hurt me either or the deal is off!" She inched closer. I could see the pain of the memory of Pine Tree shining in her eyes.

"I'm here to just talk to you Shooting Star." I said casually as I reclined on her bed. I knew she was terrified and annoyed. That was the best part.

"Eleanor, you know my name isn't Shooting Star. It's Mabel. Come on, we used to be friends and-"

"You are just like Pine Tree!" I exclaimed angrily. "Trying to convert me, it's not going to work!" I glared at her.

Mabel bit her lip. "At least he still has faith." She whispered.

"I just wanted to have a friendly conversation." I said rather innocently.

"Pft, yeah right. With you, nothing is friendly or normal anymore. You used to love Dipper! Then you had to kiss Bill and fall on his side, which was a lie all along!" She raised the grappling hook to my face.

"I make my own choices kid." I spat.

"Kid? We are the same age you idiot." Shooting Star growled.

I bared my teeth. "Watch it. If the deal breaks I will gladly finish what Bill has started."

Shooting Star's aim wavered when I said that and I smiled triumphantly.

"You see, I am even more powerful than Bill! Because here I am, flesh and blood as myself while he has to use a vessel or he'll be stuck in the Mind Scape." I clenched my fists.

Shooting Star lowered her grappling hook entirely. "Why do you have to ruin the world?"

"That's what we do." I strolled over to the window

Shooting Star fought back tears. "Can't you just let Dipper go?!" She screamed.

"Huh, no! I don't think so! Bill still needs him for a vessel." I spat.

"Can't he use someone else for a vessel?" She begged.

"No, deal is done, unless you want both of you to be in danger?" I sneered at her.

Shooting Star lowered her gaze.

I smiled, revealing my pointed teeth. "That's what I thought."

Shooting Star dropped the grappling hook. "I thought- I mean, Dipper told me that you may be able to be saved and...I believed him."

I glared at her angrily. "I don't need to be saved."

"But you do, you just don't know it."

I snarled at Shooting Star. "Stop trying to get me to fall for your trickery!" I screamed.

Shooting Star looked up at me and I saw myself reflected in her eyes. "I'm not trying. I'll do it and succeed."

"You don't have the brains to accomplish the impossible. Your brother threw his life away for you. Aren't you just horribly guilty? You can live your life untouched and unharmed while everything crumbles around you..." I smirked as a deep flash of concern crossed her face. "Pine Tree tried saving you, but to us, you're both dead."

"Why do you trust Bill?! He doesn't even care for you! He's just using you to fend us off while he completes his plans! Once he's won, you'll be thrown down with us to die!" Shooting Star met my gaze challengingly while I glared back.

"I know that's not true." I crossed my arms angrily.

"But it is true!" She stood up, but I was already floating away from her and out the window.

Dipper's POV

I had to find Eleanor, but she had disappeared. I was floating around the forest when I saw Bill. He had a bunch of symbols drawn into the ground and he had my journal by him. I growled angrily and dashed down beside him. How did he get my journal?!

"Bill!" I called out, but his eyes were closed tight. He was murmuring to himself. "Bill! Listen to me! Where is Eleanor?!"

Sudden images flashed in my mind. I saw the fallen letter S on the shack and Eleanor floating above the roof. I saw her laughing at someone. Eleanor was now angry at someone. She was with someone. I snapped my eyes open as I realized Bill had sent those images to me. I looked down at him, but he seemed unaffected.

Eleanor was with Mabel.

I held my breath and flew as fast as I could back to the shack. I could see the roof and I forced myself to speed up. I saw the window opened up. Eleanor was in the shack. I fell into the room and looked up. Eleanor was angrily glaring at Mabel.

"Why do you trust Bill?! He doesn't even care for you! He's just using you to fend us off while he completes his plans! Once he's won, you'll be thrown down with us to die!" Mabel said angrily.

Eleanor crossed her arms. "I know that's not true."

"But it is true..." I whispered.

"But it is true!" Mabel cried, surprising me as she echoed my words.

Eleanor angrily turned around and flew out. Mabel wasn't hurt. Good. I then turned around and went after Eleanor.

"Eleanor!" I screamed and Eleanor whipped around angrily.

She rolled her eyes. "Of course, Pine Tree, you're here." She turned back around and continued descending to the ground. I growled and zipped down in front of her.

"Eleanor! Leave Mabel alone!" I screamed.

She rolled her eyes again. "Do you seriously think I'd listen to you?" Eleanor sneered as she walked on.

"Eleanor!" I cried. "Mabel thinks that I'm fine and that I'm working things out! This isn't right!" I grinded my teeth together in frustration.

Eleanor scoffed. "Does it look like I care even the slightest?"

I paused. "I-uh-maybe? Maybe there is something rational and completely right still left in you?! Maybe you can still be Eleanor. The one that I-" I broke off quickly.

Eleanor faced me quickly. "That you what?!"

I swallowed. "It doesn't matter. I was a fool to even think that." I looked away.

Eleanor swiped at me in an attempt to grab my arm, but her hand passed right through me. "Oh, please, enlighten me on this subject Pine Tree." She smiled devilishly.

I growled. "The one that I fell in love with. The one that I saw. The one that I admired. The one that I kissed. That Eleanor."

Eleanor drew away in either surprise or disgust, but her emotions were hidden. "Ha, you expect me to be her? That one weak and timid human."

"Yes!" I screamed desperately.

"Well," Eleanor's gaze board into me, "that's not going to happen Di- I mean... Pine Tree." Eleanor whipped around and stormed away.

I stared after her in shock. She almost said my name...my name... I could almost see that Eleanor.