Chapter 37

I couldn't stop my tears from rolling down. I still didn't haven't made up my mind whether I want to go back New York or stay back here to make sure that my apparently real mom doesn't create any further mess. I don't think she wants anything after receiving that big sum of alimony from my father, which I didn't understand when I was young but today being in the field of finance I understand what he must have gone through during the entire process. I hate that woman. I hate her to the core not only because of what she did with Baba but also used me as a source to earn money until my father stepped in and stopped this. She would take me to certain places where people used to judge me top to bottom to see how pretty my eyes were, how chubby my cheeks were and how much would they pay her to make my work in dirty documentaries or ad shoots of theirs. Those were worst days, but baba, he made every moment after that so beautiful and lovely that those horrifying memories don't bother me now. Mom now makes me feel that I am the best daughter in the world and she has been doing this since she entered mine and Baba's life. She joined us after baba got a heart attack because of my real mom, her torture, her forever nagging, complaining, cribbing, everything weakened his heart but Mom just built everything again. Where my real mother had made me hate the word mother, Mom made me realise that blood relations are not always what one needs. She always knew what mine and Baba's past was, but never questioned us about it. She supported us without knowing the reason. So I can't just go home and bother her or Baba about my meeting with mom and Kabir. They are a closed chapter but I need to be careful that they don't do anything further.

Rehan's was continuously calling me but I didn't want to speak to him. This moment, what him I didn't want to speak to anyone. Specially him because of what Kabir just told me. Was he really there for reasons Kabir mentioned? What if he actually has a perception of as similar as Kabir. He is in no way wrong. Why would I let a guy who is not of my status stay in my house for this long? Or rather why would he do so except for reasons mentioned. But on the other hand it never felt that way when he was around there. May be he is going slow and would further show or ask what he wants. I know my mind is wandering in wrong directions but I just can't seem to control it. I know Rehan is not like that. He respects women, may be I'm wrong. I just don't want anyone to know what I'm thinking, but I want to clear the thoughts in my mind. I should just forget about all this and just concentrate on Mom, Baba and job. I honestly don't know.

I next get a call from Sarah. Why is everyone so bothered about me today? I take her call.

"Hello."

"Are you crying? What is wrong?", She said as soon as she hears my voice.

"I just met Kabir and mom."

"What? Where? Why?"

I told her the whole thing.

"Are you mad? You know how these people are. Why did you trust them? Where are you now? Home?"

"I'm not going home Sarah. I can't let Baba and Mom know this. Please don't tell them I'm in Mumbai and will go back soon."

"Ananya. Please tell them. Even re.."

"Even what?"

"Nothing. Take care of yourself and do let me know if you need anything."

"Don't tell Rehan anything, if he calls. Please."

"But he is not what Kabir said. He is a good guy. Moreover he is a great friend of yours."

"I know. But please don't tell anyone anything. There is no one apart from you and Sanya who know about Kabir and mom. And I don't want anyone else to know about it. Please Sarah."