Chapter 42...

Your family had finished decorating the tree, and you guys were now working on putting the Christmas lights along the outside of the house.

Standing there on the sidewalk in front of your house, you watched as your dad was climbing the roof and stapling Christmas lights along the way. “how does it look bud?” he called out to you “great, just be careful” you yelled back up to him, as you took a few steps closer to the house “thats the fifth time youve said that, ive been on this roof hundreds of times, im fine!” he said taking the final set of lights that were wrapped around his arm and began to string them along, but before he could even put one staple into the set, they slipped out of his hands, falling into the bushes below. “hun can you get those for me?” he asked “yeah” you yelled as you ran to the side of the house grabbing the lights. Wrapping them as tightly as possible you were about to throw them up when you heard the sound of a door slamming shut, turning around you found Ashley McCreery walking up her driveway, “hey (yourname)” she said garbage bag in hand as she walked over to the garbage cans “hi” you said as you looked away from her and up to your dad, carefully you tossed them up, but it wasnt good enough as it came toppling back to the ground “what are you doing?” she asked coming up behind you “well my dads up there and he dropped these and so im trying to throw them back up” you said pointing to your dad “hurry up and throw them, its getting cold!” your dad called down “im trying im trying” you yelled back “well if ya want i can get Scotty, he does have that baseball arm, im sure he could get it up there for y’all” “no thanks im good” you said throwing it up again, and yet again it came back down “Ashley go get your brother” your dad said “no, dont get Scotty” you said turning to Ashley “and why not?” she asked “because i dont want him to think i need him all the time” “well thats what soul mates are there for, you need them to help live your life” she said with a smug smile on her face ” me and Scotty are not soul mates, and we will never be soul mates” you said resting your hands on your hips “what ever you say, im going to get my brother” she said turning back for the house “Ashley no!” you yelled, but it was too late, she was already inside the house. Turning back around you looked up at your dad “why wont people just drop the whole me and Scotty being perfect together thing” you asked looking up at your dad “because we can see that you like him as much as he likes you” your dad said smiling down at you “that aint true, he doesnt like me, and he never will no matter how much i like him” you said crossing your arms “who we talking about?” you heard a deep voice say behind you, your face felt warm as the blood rushed to your cheeks, making you blush. Turning around quickly you looked up at Scotty “oh umm no one!” you said biting your “yeah right, now what do you need help with?” he asked looking from you to your dad “she needs help tossing that set of lights up here” your dad instructed him “no i got this” you said about to toss the lights up once more, but was stopped by Scotty grabbing your arm “if you keep doing that your gonna break the liights” Scotty said standing close behind you “fine” you mumbled “loosen your grip a bit” he said, you did so and Scotty still held onto your arm, “now let go when i tell you too, alright?” he asked, you nodded your head. Swinging your arm back and forth, Scotty kept his gaze up to your dad on the roof. “alright now!” he said when he had your arm raised at the perfect moment, you let go and watched as the lights flung up in the air, your dad caught them effortlessly “(yourname) you should take a few lessons from him” your dad said pointing at Scotty. Turning around you glared at Scotty and then looked back up at your dad “how about no? Why doesnt Scotty just help you finish this, im going inside” you said a bit testy as you pulled your arm away from Scotty and ran through your yard and up onto the porch and walking into the house.

Slamming the door shut behind you, you began running upstairs, your mom came running to the bottom of the stairs “whats going on?” she called up “nothing everything is fine and dandy” you yelled slamming your bedroom shut. Needing to be alone, you turned your light off and ran to your bed. Pulling your knees up to your chest you looked out the window, and saw your dad sitting on the roof still, looking slightly below you saw Scotty standing down there in the driveway, hands shoved in his pockets and lightly kicking the ground with his cowboy boots. As quietly as possible you opened the window slightly and listened “sorry about that, i dont know whats up with her” your dad said continuing to staple the lights along the house “its cool, girls sure are trouble sometimes” Scotty laughed “they sure are, but you gotta love them” your dad said laughing along “yeah especially her” Scotty said looking from your dad and to the ground. Slowly your dad set down the stapler  “you really like my daughter dont you?” he asked. Starring at Scotty for a moment, you were curious to what he was gonna say. But then you got up and shut the window without hearing a word. Climbing under the covers, you rested your head on the pillows and closed your eyes, hoping to fall asleep.

No matter how long you would keep your eyes closed, or how comfortable you were, there was no way you were gonna be able to sleep as the thoughts of yelling at your dad and Scotty still lingered in your mind. “thats it” you whispered as you sat up, you knew you had to apologize thats all you could think of what to do. Looking out the window, you were hoping to find your dad and Scotty, but there was no one in sight. Pulling your covers away, you climbed out of bed and ran out of your room and down the hall. Stopping just before the stairs, you looked over the banister and saw your dad sitting there, eyes closed, in the recliner. A smile spread a crossed your face, as you ran down stairs and into the living room “dad” you said, he opened his eyes and looked at you “yeah?” he asked. Hopping onto his lap you hugged him “i’m sorry, i really am, i feel horrible, i wont do a thing like that ever again” you said looking up at him “it’s okay bud, you’re just having an off day, that’s all” he said smiling at you as he gently patted your back “thanks, daddy” you said kissing his cheek and getting up “wheres Scotty?” you asked “well i suppose he’s home, why?” he asked narrowing his eyes at you, quickly you ran of for the stairs “i gotta apologize to him” you yelled back running up the stairs, down the hall and into your room.

Grabbing your shoes that were in the corner of the room, you slipped those on. Then looking around your room, you couldnt find a jacket anywhere. Not wanting to waste anymore time, you ran out of your room, down the hall and made your way down the stairs “im going over to Scotty’s real quick” you yelled running out the door, not waiting for an answer as you slammed the door shut behind you. Running off your porch, you made your way across your lawn and over to the McCreery’s.

Reaching their porch you stopped what you were doing, and stood there, trying to think of what you were going to say. Just then the front door opened, you froze right there as Scotty walked out “what are you doing here?” he asked walking down the porch and over to you “I-I came to apologize” you said stuttering a bit, Scotty crossed his arms as he gave you a confused look “why?” he asked “cause i was rude to you earlier, so I’m really sorry for that, it’s just everyone always thinks i need your help and i dont want you to believe i’m a needy person. Your always there helping me when you could be out hanging with friends or helping your parents, I’m wasting your time with everything i need help with. but it’s not like im not grateful for you being there, its just i dont want you to waste time on me” you said looking him right in the eyes. Scotty smiled a bit, he backed up and sat down on the steps, patting the board next to him, gesturing for you to take a seat, in which you did. “You arent wasting my time with all the things you need help with, I wanna help you, your my best friend. And dont ever think for one second that i think your a needy person, just think I’m always here for you when he you want help. So if im there and you dont want my help just say you wanna do it on your own and for now on i’ll listen, i’ll be standing there just in case if you need help though, but thats what i’m here for (yourname)” he said wrapping his arm around your shoulders “thanks Scotty” you said hugging him tightly.

Minutes had passed and you guys were still just sitting there on his porch, the temperature was dropping as it became later at night “(yourname) about earlier the thing i had to tell you well what i had to say was i thin-” “Scotty come inside your gonna get sick without wearing a jacket” Judy McCreery said opening the door “give me one second mom” Scotty said “its okay Scotty, you can tell me later, i gotta go to” you whispered in his ear hugging him once more “bye Judy, later Scotty” you said waving to them as you got up off their porch and heading back home.