Chapter 75...

The new week had started and a few days had past. It was now just that typical Wednesday after noon.

Rays of sun light shined in through the windshield of the truck, as your feet were kicked up on the dashboard, window down and radio cranked. Scotty was tapping his hands along to the music on the steering wheel, as he drove through the streets of Garner.

“so what color is your dress?” Scotty suddenly asked, taking his eyes off the road for just a moment to look at you “huh?” you asked, looking away from the window and towards him, his eyes were already looking ahead. “aren’t we suppose to match the tie and dress color, or something like that?” he asked, looking at you once again, as the truck slowed down to a stop at the stop sign “oh, that, well i haven’t even got my dress yet” you said, looking back out the window. Scotty let out a sigh of relief “what was that for?” you asked, looking back towards him again, as the car sped up “just thought i was the only one unprepared for this dance” he said, shrugging his shoulders “haven’t got your tux yet, have you” you stated, knowing that you could read his mind “nope” he said, as a small smile appeared on his lips. Silence fell between you two then.

Turning the corner, onto your’s & Scotty’s street, you picked your feet up off the dashboard and sat up, as you scooped your back pack up off the floor. Scotty pulled into the drivway, then, you both unbuckled your seat belts and climbed out. “later, country boy” you said, waving to him as you climbed up the steps to your front porch “you too, southern belle” he said, with a wave, as he walked into his house.

You stood there for a moment, smile plastered onto your face, as those four simple words rang through your mind. Those four simple words that have made you smile since you were ten.

Biting your lip, you turned to face in the direction of your front door. Looking there, you found your mom standing in the door way, arms resting on her hips, smile on her face “come on, hun, lets get yourself inside” she said, gesturing for you to come in. Doing as what she suggested, you walked into the house, and placed your backpack down on the recliner. Turning around, you watched as she walked into the kitchen, you followed behind.

“how was school?” you heard your dad ask, as you walked into the kitchen. He was sitting down at the table, doodling on a blank sheet up paper, as your mom was taking a seat next to him. “it was good, Scotty got the winterball tickets for us” you said, pulling the chair away from the table then sitting down in it “he did? I thought i was suppose to give you money tomorrow to buy your ticket?” your mom asked, being a bit confused “that’s what i thought too, but i walked in the cafeteria and took my seat, then a few minutes later he walked up to the table and handed me the ticket” you said, as you reached for the pen laying there in the middle of the table. You began slowly twirling it, between your fingers. “did you protest against it?” your dad asked, eyes still on the paper, before him. “yes” you said looking up at him “honey, he’s the boy, he’s suppose to buy you things, so just take them, and stop protesting” your dad said, as he clicked on the top of the pen and set it down on the table “i know, but it’s not like he’s my boyfriend or anything, we’re just friends, i should be paying for my things” you said, getting up out of your seat and beginning to walk out of the room “did we even get you a dress yet?” your dad asked “nope” you said, then walked out of the kitchen and headed towards your room.

Shutting your bedroom door behind you, you pulled your phone out from your back pocket and laid down on your bed as you scrolled through old messages.

Just seconds later, you set your phone down on your stomach and closed your eyes, waiting for something to happen, for anything to happen actually. And soon enough you began to doze off.

A light vibration ran through the core of your stomach. Opening your eyes quickly, you snatched your phone up off your stomach and unlocked it. ‘3 new messages’ shown bright across the screen, instantly a confused look ran across your face and one at a time you opened each message.