Chapter 74...

Your fingers brushed against the letters on the screen of your cellphone, quickly, as you laid there on the couch. It was half an hour till you were suppose to be over at James’ for the football game tonight, and you had been texting Scotty for the past fifteen minutes, but had yet to get a single reply. “What could that dang boy be doing?” you asked yourself out loud. “why don’t you go see?” your mom said, as she walked into the living room from the kitchen. You looked at her for a moment, thinking, then nodded your head and got up off the couch. “that’s my girl!” your mom called to you, as you walked out the front door.

Climbing the steps of the front porch, to the McCreery house hold, you knocked your fist against the door a few times and waited. The door opened a moment later and Mrs. McCreery appeared on the other side with a smile instantly spreading across her face “hello there, sweetheart, what can i do for ya?” she asked, sweetly “oh i was just wondering what Scotty is doing, we’re suppose to leave for James’ house soon, but he hasn’t replied to any of my texts” you said, shoving your hands into your pockets, trying to keep them warm. “thats a good question, why don’t you go up and go see for yourself, he has been awfully quiet up there” she said, stepping aside, allowing you to walk in “alright, thank you” you said, as you headed for the staircase and stopping for a moment to say hi to Mr. McCreery, then you grabbed a hold of the railing and ran up the wooden staircase.

“Baby lock them doors and turn the lights down low, put some music on that’s soft and slow…” you could hear, once you had reached the top of the stairs. Turning in the direction of Scotty’s room, the voice and guitar got stronger. A soft smile was touching your lips, as the familiar country crooner’s voice traveled throughout the hallway.

His bed room door was slightly open, which gave you a chance to peek inside.

Of course, he was laying there on his bed, guitar in hand, eyes closed, as his fingers strummed against the strings while his deep voice continued with the lyrics.

Biting your lip, you finally knocked on the door, not hard enough to push it open, but strong enough so it could be heard over the guitar. The chords of the guitar and the deep voice stopped suddenly. Still through the crack in the door, you could see Scotty sit up and pushed himself off the bed.

He opened the door and found you standing there, he licked his lips for a moment, no smile on his face, just a sincere worried look in his eyes. Without saying a word, he turned back around and headed for his bed.

Adjusting the guitar in his arms, he looked up at you, as you just stood there, not knowing what to say, then he looked at the clock and finally realized the time “oh, were suppose to go to James’ tonight, i completely forgot” he said, setting the guitar down by him on the bed, and sitting up as he quickly began to shove his feet into his NIKE’s.

Looking up at you once again, he motioned for you to come towards him and reluctantly, you did. Sitting next to him on the bed, you just starred down at the ground. “are you okay?” he asked, after a moment of silence. You looked up at him “i’m fine, are you okay?” you asked, then quickly looked back towards the floor “you shouldn’t really have to worry about me” he said, standing up and grabbing his phone off his night stand, then shoving it into his back pocket.

Before he could even head out the bedroom door, you were already up on your feet, and blocking his way “scotty, i will not let you through unless you tell me what’s wrong” you said, spreading your arms out, leaving him no room to escape “(yourname) i’m a lot stronger than you, i’m sure i can pick you up and carry you out” he said, crossing his arms, “well if you do so, i will tell your mom somethings wrong, and you know she wont let you go without telling her” you said, smug smile appearing on your face. The look in Scotty’s eyes showed that he was defeated. Once more he turned around and heading for the bed, you followed.