[forty eight]

i have to give hands only CPR to a dummy tomorrow in health class, aren't i lucky.

***

"can you put grayson down for a nap while i change layla?" jenna rushes past me to the changing table. i walk over to the crib rocking him back and forth in my arms watching as his eyes flutter.

once i lay him down he's out like a light. "it's like you were gifted to put a baby asleep that fast." jenna lays layla down next and grayson and watch as they latch their hands together.

"i dont think we'll ever have to worry about them not being safe, they'll always have each other no matter what." i watch them sleep peacefully, enjoy this now, in a couple years you'll wish for this again.

***

two years before

"when do you think you'll have kids?" i almost spit out my drink. "mom we haven't been married that long yet, only a couple of months."

"i know but i just can't wait to have grandchildren."

"children are nice mom, but i think we're going to take that a little slow."

***

"are you sure you're going to be alright watching the kids while i'm at work?" 

"yes now go to work, you have a company to run."

i pull up to the front of the building that i run entirely by myself now. two months ago my dad retired and it's up to me to run the company now; with my younger brothers of course. mostly zack since jay is still in school, and working with your brothers can be a bitch. like the day zack broke the fax machine.

"hey tyler?"

"yeah?"

"i uh, i kinda broke the fax machine."

"zack, how do you break a fax machine. all you have to do is put the paper in and then the number and that's it. so how did you manage to break the machine." he nods and continues. "well you see i was texting jay and he sent me something that made me laugh and i accidentally spilled my drink on the machine, my bad." i walk over to the machine and see how it's wet and the desk is sticky.

"don't worry 'bout it, we'll just get a new one. and next time you need something faxed, just ask your assistant."

or the time jay and i argued about putting a basketball court on one of the floors.

"c'mon tyler, i could work and still practice at the same time."

"no jay."

"please."

"no,  how are you supposed to get work done if you're playing."

"i'll multitask." 

"no."

"yes."

"no."

"yes."

"fine. you can have your basketball court."

"knew i could count on you big brother."

***

"it's jos- tyler stop, leave message." i smile at his voicemail but frown.i haven't seen josh in over two weeks. one day we were together, then the next he was gone and didn't even say anything about where he was going. he wouldn't leave me, would he?

maybe he just had some kind of emergency. but what kind of 'emergency' lasts two weeks?