[fifty three]

as i waited what felt like weeks, had only been three days before he opened his eyes and looked at me and smiled. "what happened?" he croaked out. "you got into a car accident." he looks around the room and back to me, "i did?" the doctor walk in and sees him awake.

"good you're awake tyler. are you feeling any pain?"

"just my neck and a minor migraine."

"alright, can you tell me the last thing you can possibly remember?" tyler nodded and started to think. "uh, going to work."

"does a car accident come up anywhere?"

"not really, i remember driving and suddenly everything went black."

"your memory seems to be fine, we're just gonna check your vitals and then you're free to go."

***

as i was driving up both back to the house, jenna called my phone. tyler picked up my phone and answered it, "hello? yeah i'm okay. sure we'll be right there." tyler put the phone back down and continued. "drive to jenna's, she needs some help with the kids."

i nod and make my way towards jenna's studio apartment. she's doing pretty fine since tyler and her officially got divorced. jenna has full custody of the kids, but allows tyler to see them practically anytime. i pull up and stop the car and we make our way up.

"jenna you could just live with us and make your life a lot easier." tyler tells her while picking up grayson. "i couldn't do that to you two. plus this allows me to become more of a parent to these two babies." jenna said while handing layla to me. layla reaches up to touch my face and giggles when she touches my beard.

"she really seems to like you josh." jenna says smiling. "what can i say, i'm likable." i smile at layla and she giggles again making her cheeks red. i look over at jenna and see how she has bags under her eyes; tyler sees the same and we both look at each other and nod then back to jenna. 

"when was the last time you got a good nights sleep jen?"

"i don't really know."

"how about we take the kids for a while and you catch up on sleep okay."

"tyler you just got out of the hospital."

"but i'm fine now, you need some rest. now you sleep and we'll be back later." she nods and thank us while we leave. we make it back to the car and put them both in their car seats. "so where can we take two six month old's to?" i ask tyler pulling out of the parking lot.

"we should take them to the park."

"to the park it is."

the prologue for DARE is up if you're interested in that story.