Subject Selection

"Bye Mum," Alexis hugged Meredith, saying goodbye, "I love you."

Meredith picked her up, kissing her forehead, "Me too Alexis."

After Alexis was on the floor again, Meredith hugged Beckett.

"Thanks for dinner," Beckett thanked her, "It was really fun."

Meredith grinned, "Especially exchanging notes."

The older redhead broke the hug and turned to Brooklyn, "Take care of Alexis for me?"

"Of course," Brooklyn smiled, and fist-bumped Meredith, "Can you take me shopping next time you come over?"

Meredith nodded, "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Well Meredith," Castle turned to his ex, "It's definitely a nice visit."

Meredith shook his hand instead, "Likewise Rick. I'll be sure to drop by soon!"

And with that, Meredith disappeared from the doorway. Alexis hugged Castle and Brooklyn stared into space as Beckett went to get some food for Karen. Meredith's stay was definitely fun for all of them. Brooklyn went shopping with Meredith and Alexis and surprisingly enjoyed it, while Castle and Beckett had a little bit of fun while they were gone. The Trail to Oregon, the show Brooklyn saw with Brayden, was a complete highlight of their lives. Brooklyn got to name the Mom of the show 'Soccer Mom' while according to their votes, the Daughter died of dysentery that night, much to Brooklyn and Brayden's delight. After that, because they had VVIP passes (much to the courtesy from Castle, who got them Very Very Important People passes), they got to meet the cast.

Brooklyn was holding the subject selection sheet in her hands, it was time to make a decision about her future career, and she had no idea. She was only a kid, she was only fifteen.

"Dad?" she came down the stairs, holding the sheet in her hand, "Can you help me?"

Castle looked at his daughter, "What can I help you with?"

She waved the sheet and sat down on the couch next to him, "Subject selection."

"Ah, the decision that indirectly affects your future," Castle took a look at the piece of paper, "Well what are your interests?"

Brooklyn shrugged, "That's why I'm asking for your help."

"What about Biology?"

"Ew no, reminds me of Josh," she scrunched up her face.

"Yeah, now that you say it... What about Economics? You said you might consider starting a business," Castle suggested.

Brooklyn nodded, "Yeah, that sounds nice!"

"And theater? By how you were talking about the show you watched, I think you might like it."

"Ah yes! Now I just have one more choice left!"

"Hmmmm, this is hard."

Brooklyn racked her brain, she had read through that list at least fifteen times, she was still stuck on the last subject. She knew she didn't want to do any of the science subjects, or anything to do with Math, so that didn't leave her with a lot of choices.

"I think you would like Spanish, it's an easy subject for you."

"I'm so stupid," Brooklyn muttered, "I had to get my dad's help to finish this!"

Castle comforted her, "Hey hey hey, it's okay. It's a difficult choice, I am honored to help you."

Just then, Beckett came home from work, "Hey you two. How're you?"

"I finished choosing subjects, Mom! Dad helped, of course"

"That's awesome!" Beckett gave her daughter a hug and announced, "I have my four month appointment tomorrow, which means we're finding out the gender. Wanna come to accompany and..."

"...Observe, not participate and annoy," Castle and Brooklyn recited Beckett's famous quote together.

Brooklyn sighed and looked at her mom in a very teenager sass way, "I get it Mom, and I would love to come over tomorrow. We have to bring Alexis and Karen too, Lex can't babysit yet."

Castle yelled, "Alright! Betting pool! Boy or girl?"

He also texted the boys, Montgomery and Lanie, asking them to place bets.

"Ten on a boy," Brooklyn took out a ten dollar bill from her pocket and gave it to her dad, "We already have three girls, I have a tough feeling that it's gonna be a boy."

Alexis ran down the stairs, clutching her piggy bank, "Are we betting on the baby? I bet a dollar!"

As a little kid, she didn't like to take too many risks, a dollar seemed reasonable, so she shook out a couple coins and handed them to her dad.

"What about you, Mom?" Alexis asked and everyone looked at her.

"I'm staying out of this," she chuckled, "I'm good. But I also hope that it's gonna be a boy."

The girls found it hard to fall asleep that night, all they had on their minds was whether or not they won the bet.

~~~

A/N: Hey guys, still remember me? So after taking a very long break from writing in general, I have decided to finish off this fanfic ASAP, but I really need some ideas. So does anyone have any that I could use? I really hate to keep you all waiting, so the best way to do this is to finish it and make a happy ending for you all.