It Changes Everything

"Hey Beckett, fresh one," Ryan said as he waved a piece of paper in the air.

"Dead body? Yes!" Castle said like a kid at Christmas, except this time, there's a dead body under the tree.

The team drove to the murder scene and found Lanie already examining the body there.

The victim was a brunette stabbed multiple times on the body.

"Hey Lanie, what have we got?" Kate asked.

"A stabbing, not sure which stab killed her though, I'll know more once I get her back to the morgue, I'd say she died around one to four am this morning," Lanie said.

"Any ID?"

"No, no wallet, cell phone or any identification tools," Ryan said after checking with an officer.

They wrapped up in the crime scene and started to assemble their murder board.

"Beckett! Got an ID!" Ryan yelled.

"And?"

"Her name is... what?!"

"What what?" Beckett said and walked over to Ryan's desk with Castle.

"Katrina Beckett."

"What?!" Kate shoved Ryan out of the way and looked at we profile.

Katrina's parents are Johanna and Jim Beckett and her older sister is the one and only Katherine Beckett.

"Katrina is only seventeen," Castle read from the profile.

"And she has a one year old daughter named Karen," Ryan chipped in.

"I have to go," Kate said and grabbed her bag and coat.

"Kate! Where are you going?"

"To tell the family that their daughter was murdered," Kate said and entered the elevator.

~~~

"Katie! What are you doing here?" Jim opened the door.

"Gotta ask and tell you something," Kate entered the house and sat down on the couch.

"Who's Katrina Beckett?"

"How... how did you know about Katrina?"

"She's the victim of my murder investigation."

Jim almost collapsed in shock.

"Katrina's dead?"

"When were you going to tell me that I have a little sister who is only three years older than my daughter?!"

"Katie..."

"When did that happen? Why didn't you and Mom just tell me?"

"When you went to Kiev in your junior year, your mom got pregnant but we couldn't keep Katrina. We gave her away just in time before you came back..."

"Why didn't you keep Katrina?"

"The whole family was in danger because of your mom's case! We sent you abroad so we could keep you away from danger! But we had to give Katrina away too," Jim said.

"So Katrina was living in an orphanage all her life?"

Jim nodded bitterly.

"We couldn't find an adoptive family in time."

"Katrina has a daughter," Kate said.

"What?"

"She has a one year old daughter named Karen."

"How did she raise her daughter if she has been living in an orphanage all her life?"

"I have no idea, I have to go back and ask the boys," Kate said and got up.

"So I'll see you around Katie Bug," Jim got up and hugged Kate.

"Sure, Dad."

~~~

When Kate got back to the precinct, she saw Castle bouncing a baby on his knees.

"Castle? Who's this?" Kate asked.

"This is your niece, Karen," Castle said.

Karen reached her arms out to Kate.

"How did you get her?"

Esposito rolled his chair over to Kate's desk.

"Daycare, her mom's dead, so we had to go and get her."

"How did Katrina afford daycare and a baby if she lives in an orphanage?"

Ryan rolled his chair over.

"She moved out of the orphanage two years ago. She lives with a Dylan Taylor, who is listed as Karen's biological father in her birth certificate," Ryan said.

"So she lives with her boyfriend," Kate said, "Call that Dylan in, I have to talk to him about Katrina, and about Karen's custody."

The boys nodded and got to work.

Kate sat down on her chair and started working on the details of the case.

"Isn't she adorable?" Castle cooed over the baby.

"Can't believe I have a sister and a niece," she sighed.

"Come on, you'd be an awesome aunt! You're already an awesome mom."

Karen once again reached her arms out to her aunt.

"Take her, Kate."

"Why?"

"She wants you."

Kate sighed and took Karen into her arms.

"You do look a lot like my sister," Kate said, examining Karen closely.

Karen squealed.

Karen reminded Kate a lot of Brooklyn when she was a baby, Brooklyn actually looked exactly like Karen when she was a baby.

Soon enough, the Dylan guy came into the precinct ten minutes later.

Kate lead him into the break room and sat him down on the couch.

"So... Katrina... she's dead?"

"I'm afraid so Mr Taylor."

"What about Karen?"

"She's in our custody now, probably until we find her a suitable home."

"Can I take her back?"

"With all due respect, Mr Taylor, you're not 18 yet, you don't have a stable income. You can't take Karen by law."

"But she's my baby girl! I have already lost Katrina, Detective, I can't lose Karen too!"

"We can settle this after Katrina's killer is caught, but now, Karen is going to..."

"Please don't let her live in a foster home! Katrina absolutely hated orphanages and foster homes and she wouldn't have wanted Karen to live there too."

"That's the only option. I would respect Katrina's wishes too, we would take appropriate measures to deal with this."

"Please bring justice to her, Detective," Dylan begged as he stood up and got ready to leave.

"I will, don't worry," Kate got up and shook Dylan's hand.

"Thank you Detective... what's your last name?"

Kate can't tell Dylan that she's Katrina's sister, so she can't tell Dylan her real last name.

"Castle, last name's Castle."

~~~

Author's Note: Finally! I'm done writing fillers! Finally something interesting to write about! A belated Happy Thanksgiving guys!