Wrecking Ball

"Brooklyn I don't know why you have us dressed up formally, I know Josh is taking us out for dinner but we don't have to be that formal!" Kate said as they entered the living room.

"About that..." Brooklyn said in a high pitched voice.

"Brooklyn what did you do?" Kate asked, frightened. Whenever Brooklyn talks in this high pitched voice it meant that she had done something that she shouldn't have.

"We are not going out for dinner with Josh tonight."

"Then where are we going?"

Then the doorbell rang.

Brooklyn hurried to the door and opened it, there stood Castle in a tux and Alexis in a turquoise blue ball dress with matching flats.

"We're going to a fundraiser ball with Dad and Alexis."

----------------------------------------

Brooklyn was in a long black dress with a silver waist sash around it, Kate had no idea where she got it but she didn't care. Kate was in white, it was simple but beautiful.

They got into the limo, Alexis and Brooklyn sat together and Kate and Castle on the other end.

"Why didn't you tell me Brooke?"

"You'd probably say no! And by the way, you're Dad's date tonight," Brooklyn smiled.

"Oh no you didn't..."

"Oh yes she did," Castle said.

"What about the press? They would be there, but how do you propose we get through the press?"

"Easy, you're my girlfriend and Brooklyn is your daughter, the press can keep their noses out of our business for a while," Castle said.

"Your girlfriend?"

"Uh oh," Alexis and Brooklyn whispered together.

"You were my girlfriend," Castle said matter-of-factly.

"Thirteen years ago, yeah," Kate said.

"Come on Kate! Brooklyn wants to go and you have to bring her!"

"Please Mom? Just for tonight?" Brooklyn begged.

"Fine, just this once," Kate agreed.

Brooklyn and Alexis talked happily for the rest of the ride and Kate and Castle just sat there in silence.

----------------------------------------

They entered the ball room, Kate arm in arm with Castle and the girls talking happily behind, kids were allowed this time so Alexis and Brooklyn headed off to hang out with other kids.

"Need a drink?" Castle asked.

"Yeah, vodka, lots of vodka."

"You serious?"

"Yeah, I haven't drank so much since I had Brooklyn."

Castle went over to the bartender and got the drinks for Kate. When he got back he saw Gina and Paula talking to her.

"Hello ladies, I see you moved to New York as well," he said to Gina and Paula.

"Yes, we have to keep track of your writing here too Rick, I was just telling your girlfriend here how you are always late when it comes to your manuscripts," Gina said.

"I'm actually not his girlfriend," Kate said.

"So why are you here with him then?" Paula asked.

Kate looked at Castle and Castle gave her a 'you can tell them' look.

"The situation is complicated, but I am his ex."

"Wife?"

"Girlfriend."

"Well then you two enjoy yourselves and we would go back to managing the party," Gina said and left with Paula.

"I'm sorry about them, Gina is my second ex-wife and publisher and Paula is my agent," Castle said.

"It's okay," Kate said and took a big swig of her vodka.

Then two gunshots sounded.

----------------------------------------

Brooklyn was having a good time hanging with Alexis and some other kids when she heard two gunshots.

Everyone screamed and ducked under tables or they just took cover.

Brooklyn knew it was bad, she saw her mom on the other side of the room, Kate pointed at her ankle and Brooklyn knew it was time her gadgets were coming to use.

Another two gunshots sounded.

People screamed and Alexis hung on to Brooklyn.

"Alexis..." Brooklyn said and pulled her dress up so her legs were revealed. A stun gun was strapped on her leg.

"Brooklyn what are you doing?"

Two more shots.

"Protection, if anything happens I need to stun them."

Kate peeked around and saw a man taking cover at the doors, she took out her gun from the strap on her leg and slowly crawled over to the man.

Brooklyn was doing the same, but with the stun gun in her hand.

The man saw Kate coming and held her hostage with the gun on her head.

"You make another sound and I will put a bullet in your head," he hissed.

"Not so fast jackass!" Brooklyn yelled behind him and stunned him in the chest when he turned around.

Brooklyn pulled Kate out of the man's grip and Kate cuffed him.

They walked back in and everyone knew that they were safe. They stood up and looked at them.

"Is anyone hurt?!" Kate asked loudly.

They looked around to see a man already dead in the corner, Kate went over there and saw the man had two GSWs to the chest.

"I'll call Ryan and Esposito, Brooklyn put your stun gun back to your strap," Kate said.

----------------------------------------

Ryan an Esposito arrived and Kate joined them, Lanie went to examine the body. The guests were evacuated and Brooklyn went to the loft with Castle and Alexis.

Brooklyn came out of the shower dressed in her PJs and her wet hair wrapped in her towel, she put the stun gun on her bedside table.

She went down to the living room and saw her dad and Alexis sitting on the couch talking, she joined them and sat down on the couch too.

"That man, who was he?" Brooklyn asked.

"I never saw the victim before, maybe I saw him once or twice but I never met him," Castle said.

"It's so cool that you have a stun gun!" Alexis said.

"It's for protection," Brooklyn answered.

"Let's watch a movie!" Castle said.

"FROZEN!" Alexis squealed.

Castle put in the disc and Brooklyn curled up on the couch, she felt tired and soon fell asleep to Elsa singing Let It Go while building her castle of ice.