College Graduation

It has been four years since the farewell at the airport. Kate has been wearing the promise ring everyday, her mother passed away when she was 19, but it didn't stop her from finishing her degree. She has decided to become a cop, not a lawyer, she decided to finish college just so she can satisfy her inner self.

Days after Rick left, she was experiencing morning sickness, mood swings and food cravings, she even missed her period, so she took a pregnancy test and it came back positive. She was shocked and didn't know what to do, but she carried on her life in Stanford and had a baby girl named Brooklyn Courtney Beckett-Castle, she didn't want to leave Rick out of Brooklyn's life, so she told Brooklyn that her daddy was going to meet her once she finishes her education.

She had been dreaming about her graduation day when she can finally see her one and done again, today was finally the day that she graduated college.

Kate was in a graduation robe, she flashbacked to the day she tried on her high school graduation robe for the first time, with Rick telling her she is the most beautiful valedictorian ever and getting laid by Rick for the very first time. As she was zoning out in front of the mirror, Brooklyn suddenly came running through the door.

"Mommy!"

"Hey Brooklyn! You look beautiful!"

"You too Mommy!" Brooklyn beamed proudly.

"Hey Katie," Jim said as he stood in the hallway.

Jim didn't drink too much after Johanna died, for Kate and Brooklyn, he stayed strong for his two girls.

"Hey Dad," Kate said excitedly.

"You excited?"

Kate nodded, "Rick promised he'd be here, he knows when I'm graduating, and Brooklyn can finally meet her daddy!"

"I'm so excited Mommy!"

"I am too Brooke, come on, we have a graduation to attend to!"

---------------------------------------

Kate looked around the area, it was almost time to go up the stage and receive her diploma, but Rick was nowhere to be found.

He's probably coming, Kate thought.

"Katherine Beckett."

Kate looked ahead, smiled brightly and walked up on stage, the professor shook her hand and handed her the diploma, the photographer snapped a picture and she went off stage.

The rest of the ceremony came and went, it was time to throw their graduation caps.

"Congratulations graduation class of 2003!"

Everyone threw up their caps and Kate did the same, her friends came and hugged her, she looked around, she couldn't find Rick anywhere.

He might be stuck in traffic, Kate thought, trying to remain optimistic.

"Mommy!" Brooklyn ran over to Kate, giving her a big hug.

"Hey Brooke!" Kate picked up her daughter and put her on her hip.

"Where's Daddy?"

"Um... maybe he's late, but let's give a little patience, shall we?"

Brooklyn nodded happily.

"Katie..." Jim started.

"Dad, it's okay, he might just be late."

Kate, Brooklyn and Jim hung around the university for two hours, talking to professors and friends, but Rick was nowhere to be seen.

"Katie... it has been two hours, we have to go," Jim said.

"He will come Dad!"

"Mommy... I'm hungry," Brooklyn tugged her robe.

"Okay then, let's go and get dinner," Kate couldn't bear to see her baby girl starve, so they hit a diner nearby and ate.

The next day, Kate immediately went to the police headquarters and applied for the Police Academy, when she got home she explained to Brooklyn that if she gets accepted, then she will be gone most of the time.

Brooklyn didn't care, her mother was here right now and that was all she cared about.

But Kate was still thinking about Rick, she went back to college, hoping that Rick would be there, that he simply didn't know the date, but nothing of the sort happened.

When Kate brought Brooklyn to the park, she would always sit on 'their bench', hoping that Rick would show up.

After two months of waiting and hoping, it was time for her to set off for the Police Academy, she kissed her daughter goodbye, promising to be back every weekend. Brooklyn asked about her father, but Kate simply replied that he's not coming back anymore. Before she left, she took the promise ring off her finger and put it on the chain with her mother's engagement ring.

Rick Castle was now simply the person who kept her waiting for four years, and let her down.