Turning 14

"Hon?"

"Yeah?"

Castle turned to face Kate, who seemed to be deep in thought.

"Um... tomorrow is Brooklyn's birthday and do you think we can celebrate for a bit?" Kate asked.

"Of course! Why didn't you tell me it was her birthday tomorrow? We should have a birthday party you know? Turning 14 and into high school she goes!"

Kate's stitches just came off, sometimes she stays at the loft with Brooklyn or they both stay in their apartment, they enjoy shared custody and Brooklyn's new name, their lives are much easier now that Josh left.

"Castle I was thinking maybe a small birthday celebration would be enough, just you, me, Alexis, Martha, my dad and the birthday girl."

"14 years old is an important year, that is the year that she starts high school! At least you can invite over the boys, Lanie and the captain right?"

"I guess I could, but please, cut down the money we need to spend, I can't afford something like an ice cream cake or a cake with three layers."

"Kate, leave all the money problems to me, I'll pay for all of the things we need," Castle insisted.

"Castle I can't ask you to afford all of it! I'll pay for half of it, straight down the middle, or I'll pay for all of it," Kate said.

"Kate you have bought her the last thirteen cakes, let me buy this one okay?"

Kate thought of it for a while, but finally gave in, "Okay, you can pay for the cake if I pay for all the other food we need at the party."

"No way Kate! Let me pay for this party okay? I'm her dad after all."

Kate didn't want Castle to pay for everything, but it seemed like Castle wouldn't back off either.

"You have a deal," Kate said and kissed him deeply.

----------------------------------------

"Hey Brooklyn it's your birthday tomorrow!" Esposito said, the thought suddenly came to his mind.

"Just like that and you're fourteen, I still remember you parading around the precinct in your puffy pink princess dress when you were six," Ryan said.

"Uncle Kevin! That was eight years ago!" Brooklyn whined.

"We're proud of who you've become, your mom has taught you well," Esposito said.

"You mean like kicking Josh and stunning him?" Brooklyn laughed.

"Exactly what we're talking about, you are exactly like Beckett! We call you Beckett Junior for a reason Brooke," Ryan said.

"Hello Brooklyn, I remember you're turning fourteen tomorrow," Montgomery said, coming out of his office.

"Yes sir," Brooklyn said, beaming.

"I should remember to get you something then," Montgomery smiled.

"Thank you sir."

Esposito's phone rang, he excused himself and picked it up.

"Hey Javi, it's me," Kate said.

"Beckett? What's wrong?"

"Is Brooklyn near you?"

"Um... yeah, why?"

"Go excuse yourself, I need to ask you something."

Esposito excused himself and went into the break room.