Connection

"MOM!" Brooklyn screamed as she entered the precinct with Alexis.

"What about me?" Castle whined.

"Dad, there, happy?"

"Where's Kate?" Alexis asked.

"In the ladies' room... And she's back," Castle pointed to Kate, who was holding her niece in her arms.

The girls jumped back in shock when they saw Karen.

"Who's that?" Brooklyn asked.

"She's a baby, Brooke, not a dog," Kate laughed.

"Seriously, though, who is she?"

"She's Karen, your cousin."

"My what?!"

"I have a sister, she is the victim of this murder investigation. Katrina has a daughter and we took her into the custody of the NYPD."

"Why didn't you tell me you had a sister?!"

"I never knew, your grandfather kept this secret all these years and I never knew about Katrina until she died."

"Brooklyn, the murder board states that Katrina is only three years older than you," Alexis said.

"Wow, shocker, my aunt is only three years older than I am," Brooklyn said sarcastically.

"Beckett?"

Everyone turned to see Lanie standing there.

"Hey Lanie! Why are you up here? You could have called me down or just tell me over."

"I have to show you something."

~~~

"Why are you so serious Lanie?"

"The stab wounds on Katrina are not a one off, Kate, I recognized the wounds on her the moment I saw the MO, it was used in another murder thirteen years ago," Lanie said solemnly.

"The MO?"

"The stab wounds, the alley... the wounds are identical to the one used in the other murder, I believe the same knife was used in that murder."

"Mom," Kate whispered.

"Either Katrina got into trouble, or this is a sign that's saying trouble's coming for your family."

"Thanks Lanie... er... I have to go tell Montgomery about this... keep me posted."

"Sure Kate," Lanie said and hugged Kate.

The girls walked out of the interview room and Lanie headed down to the morgue.

"You okay Mom? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Kate ignored Brooklyn.

"Boys, Castle, Cap's office, now."

~~~

"So Lanie believes that the person who is responsible for Johanna Beckett's murder killed your sister?" Montgomery asked.

"Yeah, but Mom's murder was written off as random gang violence, it can't be just that. It's more than that."

"Why would the killer strike thirteen years after Johanna was killed?" Castle asked.

"Something came up, we have to find out what came up that made the killer strike again," Esposito said.

"Secure your family, if he went for your unknown sister, then he might be coming for your family next. Secure everyone and make sure they're all armed, including Castle, Alexis, Martha and Jim."

"What about Karen?"

"She can stay in your place."

"What?"

"Katrina's your sister, Dylan is not 18 yet, you have two daughters, Karen's lawfully yours to keep for now," Montgomery said.

"What about when Dylan turns 18?"

"If Dylan wants her, then she's his to keep."

The team came out of the office and went to their desks, Brooklyn leapt up from her dad's seat.

"What happened, Mom?"

"You look terribly sick!" Alexis commented.

"Alexis, you have to carry a taser around from now on, Castle, you're getting a gun. We're hiding guns around the loft, don't ask any questions," Kate said.

"Beckett! Take the rest of the day off! Secure your place and your family! I don't want you here until ten am tomorrow morning!" Montgomery ordered and went back into his office.

"That dude just read my mind," Kate muttered.

"Let's go shopping!" Castle squealed like a teenage girl.