I could have died!

Brooklyn woke up to a heart monitor beating to the rhythm of her heart, she slowly sat up and saw her dad sleeping in the chair next to her bed and her mom sleeping on the couch in her room.

"Dad?" she said softly. She knew with her dad's head in that position his neck would hurt badly when he wakes up.

"Dad!"

Castle leapt up from his chair, looked at Brooklyn and cranked his neck to loosen up the pain.

"Geez! Brooke! You scared me!"

"Correction, I woke you," she giggled.

"You okay? Your mom took your allergy reaction pretty seriously."

"Hey I could have died when my allergy first reacted when I was three, I would have suffocated!"

"What exactly did you eat this morning?"

"The breakfast bar Josh made."

"Then it must have contained peanuts, or else you wouldn't have reacted."

"I'm never touching anything he cooks ever again," Brooklyn said.

"Good point."

"So Dad... now that you and mom are cool and everything, can my last name be changed to Castle?"

"You would have to ask your mom, and I would like to apply for shared custody, you are my daughter too you know?"

"Course I do," Brooklyn giggled.

----------------------------------------

Kate woke up to voices talking, she hazily opened her eyes and saw her daughter chatting happily to her dad.

"Hey guys," she said in a low voice.

"Hey Mom!" Brooklyn chirped.

"What time is it?"

"Three pm, we all got a pretty nice nap."

"Shit I gotta go to the precinct!" Kate leapt up from the couch and took her phone out.

"Mom can you please stay? I'm sure Captain Montgomery wouldn't mind, I did almost die," Brooklyn begged.

Kate thought about it for a while, "Okay."

She was on the phone for two minutes and Montgomery approved her leave for the rest of the day off.

"Mom?"

"Yes sweetie?"

"Can I ask for a favor?"

"Anything hon."

"Now that you and Dad are cool and everything... Can my last name be changed to Castle?"

Kate didn't see that coming, out of everything she chose to bring up the issue of her last name.

"And I would like to apply for shared custody," Castle quickly added in.

Kate sat down on the couch, running her hands through her hair.

"I don't see why can't you change your name, you can go back to your birth name, Brooklyn Courtney Beckett-Castle."

"Thank you Mom!" Brooklyn squealed, "If I wasn't hooked to these stupid machines I would have came and hugged you!"

Kate smiled and went to hug Brooklyn, but she caught Castle's eye and her smile faded.

"Um... About the shared custody, can I talk to you outside?"

Kate and Castle got out of Brooklyn's room and she gently closed the door.

"Kate I want to be a part of Brooklyn's life, not only just like that but I want to spend much more time with her, not just sleepovers with Alexis but..."