Allergy Ambush

Josh showed up early at the Beckett household to surprise Kate, he offered to make her and Brooklyn breakfast, which she agreed.

Josh decided to make a couple of breakfast bars for them, plain old cereal is boring so he decided to brighten it up a bit. He found some peanuts in the shelf so he decided to add that in as well, as a prank actually, he knew Brooklyn never touched peanuts so maybe he can prank her for a bit.

Brooklyn was a bit late for school so she grabbed a couple bars, kissed her mom goodbye and headed off to school.

When she was sitting in class when her face and arms suddenly started itching, she thought it was nothing, but when she looked at her face in the mirror she saw minor swellings on her cheeks, she recognized the swelling, it was her allergy swell, she is allergic to peanuts and she must have eaten some that morning.

Josh, the breakfast bar, ugh!

Brooklyn put the pieces together and knew Josh put peanuts in her breakfast bar. She put her hoodie over her head and went to the office.

"Madam. I think my peanut allergy is reacting, I need to call my mother," Brooklyn said quickly.

"Let me see Ms Beckett," the lady said and went over to Brooklyn, who's face was a bit more swelled than it was before.

The lady sighed and got the phone, she dialled Kate.

"Detective Beckett?"

They talked for a while, then the lady gave the phone to Brooklyn.

"Mom the allergy is reacting, I need to go to the hospital now!"

"Hold on, I'll be there in ten," Kate said Brooklyn heard her mom yell 'Espo! Ryan! I have to get Brooke! Allergy reaction!' and her mom hung up.

Brooklyn sat down in the chair, head down and wearing her hoodie, after ten minutes, her mom showed up in her heels.

"Brooke, how is it?" Kate asked and Brooklyn looked up.

"Ya think?"

"Come on, hospital it is," Kate said and practically yanked Brooklyn out of the office and dragged her into the car.

Brooklyn was swelling terribly on her face and neck and when she got to the hospital she was rushed into the ER.

"Castle," Kate said in panic as she dialled Castle's number.

"Kate, what's wrong?" Castle sensed the panic in her voice.

"Brooklyn's allergy reaction, it's acting up again!"

"Chill Kate it's just an allergy reaction!"

"You don't understand! When she was three she had her first allergy reaction and she almost died! She was fine when she had another one when she was eight but I don't know about now!"

"What is Brooklyn allergic to?"

"Peanuts, she must have eaten some this morning!"

"She would be smart enough to stay away from the peanuts and you wouldn't have gave her any," Castle said.

"Josh made us breakfast bars this morning," Kate said.

"I'll be at the hospital in fifteen," Castle said and hung up.

Kate waited for a while and the doctor called her in.

"Brooklyn is fine and stable now, but it's better if we keep her here for one night," the doctor told Kate and showed her Brooklyn's room.

"Thank you doctor," she said and entered the room.

Brooklyn was fast asleep on the bed, can you blame her? She did not have enough sleep last night.

"Kate!" Castle came running into the room.

"Hey Castle, she's fine, she's out though," said Kate, running into Castle's arms.

"Did Josh give her the peanuts?"

"I don't know, he made breakfast and I only had a bar, I didn't know if there were peanuts or not."

Soon, one writer was fast asleep on the chair next to the bed, one homicide detective crashed on the couch and a daughter ended up curling up in her bed, soundly sleeping.