Interrogation

The case with Katrina had gone on for a couple of weeks and they were getting nowhere with it, Kate was freaking out and trying every lead possible to find her mom and sister's killer, but the worst thing is that Dylan just turned 18 and he wants to take Karen away.

The whole Castle family had been getting so attatched to Karen that they couldn't say goodbye, she would be going back to Dylan in a couple of days and since Katrina was given up for adoption and Dylan didn't know about Kate being Katrina's sister, they are not allowed to see Karen after she goes back to Dylan and they were all having a hard time letting her go.

"BECKETT! We have a lead!" Ryan said.

"Sis, you have to see this," Esposito said and showed her a video.

It was a video about Katrina and Dylan arguing the morning on the day she died, they couldn't read their lips but they tracked down Katrina's best friend and asked her about the fight. They wanted to ask her best friend before they confront Dylan, to be on the safe side.

"Katrina found out something really terrible, something that would ruin their relationship," said Hillary, Katrina's best friend.

"What?"

"Dylan was cheating on Katrina."

"How did she know?"

"She went through his phone, and found pictures of him and another girl. But she only confronted him because it was almost time."

"Time for what?"

"For her to move out of Dylan's place. She had been relying on Dylan for the past two years, if she breaks up with him, she would be homeless. She said she found someone that could take her in, and that she would be taking Karen along with her."

"Who? Who would take her in?"

"Her original family," said Hillary, "You know she was an orphan right? She said she tracked down her older sister, her sister was like really famous in a political circle, I think her sister was a cop, really famous one, and she said she would find her sister and beg her to take her in when she turns 18."

"Thank you, Hillary, that would be all," Kate said and quickly finished the interview.

"Wait, and she also said she doesn't want Dylan around Karen anymore. She didn't want a cheating bastard around her and she said she's making her sister Karen's emergency contact and legal guardian if anything happens to her, I think she was about to fill in the paperwork the day she die. She texted me the night before."

Kate suddenly felt hope that she wouldn't be parting with Karen after all.

"Thank you, Hillary. That would be all."

~~~

Kate ordered the boys to get Dylan into interrogation and subpoena Katrina's text records with Hillary to find proof that she was going to be made Karen's legal guardian if anything happens to Katrina.

Soon the boys were taking Dylan in and Kate found the texts that Katrina sent to Hillary, she went into interrogation with the boys watching behind the windows.

"I didn't kill Katrina, okay? I loved her!" Dylan protested.

"Then explain to me why Katrina would want her sister to have Karen's custody if anything happens to her," Kate said and sat opposite to Dylan.

"Her sister? She's an orphan!"

"She told her best friend Hillary that she found her birth family."

"I didn't know about this! But I'm Karen's birth father!"

"And you also cheated on Katrina, we saw the tape. Security cams caught you and Katrina arguing on the street the morning that she died..."

"You didn't even know what we were talking about!"

"That you were cheating on her! You were afraid that she would take Karen away as well, so with her killed, you can have her full custody and Katrina out of the way!"

"I would never lay a finger on Katrina! I..."

"You cheated on her! The evidence was there! Katrina was going to leave you and take your daughter away as well, so she decided to leave her sister Karen's sole custody if anything happens to her and she's cutting you out of her life!"

"Katrina couldn't survive without me, she's an orphan with a daughter and she has nowhere to go," Dylan gritted through his teeth.

"Not true, she found her birth sister, and she agreed to take her in," Kate bluffed.

"Who's her sister? I want to hear it from her, I don't believe that her original family would take her in after they abandoned her."

"Hey! I'm asking the questions here! You don't get a say in anything!"

"I didn't kill her!"

"Save your breath Dylan! Where were you the night Katrina was killed?"

"At... at her place. The girl I was cheating on Katrina with, I stayed the night."

"I would be needing her name."

"Alyson Rivera."

"Good, in the meantime, sit tight, cheater, we're gonna be checking on your alibi," Kate said and left the interrogation room.

The boys joined her outside of the interrogation room.

"You know he's not capable of killing Katrina right? The same person that killed your mom killed your sister, and I her Dylan has nothing to do with it," Esposito said.

"But he just admitted that he cheated on Katrina, and Katrina's text gives us advantage on getting Karen's custody," Kate said.

"Karen's custody?" Castle asked.

Kate stopped in her tracks and turned to Castle.

"Yes, Castle, custody. I wanna adopt Karen."