The Drink with Josh

Kate got dressed up nicely and knocked on Brooklyn's door, she opened it with an annoyed look on her face.

"Where are you going?" Brooklyn asked.

"I'm going to have drink with Josh..."

"It's Josh now isn't it? Not Davidson or Doctor Davidson?"

"Brooklyn it's not like that..."

"Mom you met the guy like three hours ago!"

"Brooke, please, just behave and stay at home okay?"

"It's not like I'm going to go out to a club and come home tomorrow morning," Brooklyn said indifferently.

"Good girl," Kate kissed her daughter's hair and left the apartment.

Kate drove to the Old Haunt, she sighed and entered the bar.

"Kate!"

She smiled and walked towards Josh, she sat down and ordered scotch.

"So... How's Brooklyn?" Josh asked.

"She's fine, the pain meds are really helping."

"So, Kate, what kind of detective are you? Robbery?"

"Homicide, the 12th."

"That's impressive, so... please don't mind me asking, were you married once?"

Kate shook her head, "Brooklyn was from my ex in high school."

"The person was a fool leaving someone like you."

"He was, but what was done is done, Brooklyn is all I have, and my dad of course, I don't regret Brooklyn one bit."

"You are a great mother Kate, balancing time for your daughter and working as a homicide detective at the same time all on your own."

"You know, most men would lose interest in me once they know I have Brooklyn."

"Well I'm not any other man Kate, you are extraordinary, and you're beautiful."

Then Kate's phone buzzed, a message from Brooklyn.

911, come back ASAP

"I'm sorry, Brooklyn must be having troubles, we have to cut this short," Kate said as she left the bar.

---------------------------------

"This is not 911!" Kate yelled.

"I'm out of money and I want something to eat," Brooklyn said.

"Brooklyn, would it kill you to cook something yourself?"

"Since when do we cook stuff? We eat takeout boxes like every night!"

"Can't you just crack an egg and make an omelette?"

"Omelette for dinner? I'm not having breakfast for dinner alone!"

"Can't you be a bit more considerate of other people? I was having a drink in midtown and you had me rushing back!"

"Since when do you put romance before family?!"

"I am not! You're mad Brooklyn! Family always comes first!"

"You like Josh! Fine! But don't forget you just told me yesterday that you still love Castle!"

"Brooklyn, loving him is a mistake, Josh is a nice man who doesn't mind having you around!"

"Oh! So now I'm not supposed to be here!"

Kate froze, she did not mean it this way.

"Brooke I didn't mean it this way..."

"Well I'm sorry that I'm such a burden to you! It would just be better if I leave!" Brooklyn said and ran into her room, slamming the door.

"Brooklyn!" Kate kept yelling and knocking on Brooklyn's door.

Brooklyn dragged her suitcase, backpack and duffel bag out of the closet, she threw all her garments in her suitcase, then she took everything that was hers inside her duffel bag, and took everything she had and opened the door.

"Brooklyn please..."

"I hope you can be happy with Josh! You can have the perfect family you wanted and forget that you ever had me!" Brooklyn yelled and ran out the apartment door.

Kate stood there, she was so in shock that she couldn't move. When she finally came to her senses she ran out the door and took the elevator down, but Brooklyn was nowhere to be seen.

Kate rode the elevator back up to her apartment, she walked into Brooklyn's room, on the table laid the necklace Kate gave Brooklyn for her tenth birthday.

Kate realized what she had done and cried silently for the night.

---------------------------------

Brooklyn got off the bus and rode the elevator up to the building. She was crying all the way, she couldn't believe her mom said that, she knew she wasn't meant to be here, but here she was and her mom said she was a burden.

Brooklyn knocked on the door and saw her father standing in the doorway.

"Brooklyn! What are you doing here? And why do you have so much stuff?" Castle said.

Brooklyn just cried and shook her head.

"Come on in Brooklyn," Castle lead her inside the loft and Brooklyn sat down on the couch.

"I twisted my ankle today..."

But Alexis came running down the stairs in her blue PJs before she could continue.

"Brooklyn!" Alexis said happily and ran towards her sister.

"Hey Lex," Brooklyn said and hugged the redhead.

"Alexis, Brooklyn has had a hard day, why don't you go to bed and talk more in the morning?"

"But..."

"No buts Alexis, please go to bed."

Alexis pouted, "Okay then, good night Dad, night Brooklyn."

"Night Alexis."

"So... What happened?" Castle asked once Alexis has gone up to her room.

"I twisted my ankle, so Mom had to take me to the hospital. A doctor helped me with my foot and he asked Mom out! So I crashed the date, calling Mom home, then we fought and Mom said I was just a burden!"

"Kate wouldn't say that!" Castle said, shocked.

"Well... She didn't exactly say that."

"What did she say exactly?"

"She said that Josh is a nice man and won't mind me around..."

"So you ran away."

Brooklyn nodded, tears threatening to spill.

"I'm your father Brooklyn, I would never think of you as a burden. But you have to go back to your mother soon."

"Why?"

"Custody is rightfully Kate's, I can't hold you here and I really don't fancy another arrest."

"Dad, I'm sorry that I said all those nasty things to you the other day," said Brooklyn.

"It's okay Brooklyn," Castle said and hugged Brooklyn close to his chest.

Soon Brooklyn fell asleep in Castle's chest, so Castle carried her up to the guest bedroom and laid her down on the bed. He looked down at his daughter, what exactly happened between her and Kate, he didn't know. But he knew if Kate wants to see Brooklyn again, they would have to see each other. However Kate's new boyfriend, it just bothers him, but it doesn't matter right now.

Brooklyn looked exactly like Kate when she was asleep, without knowing, Castle fell asleep in the chair in the guest bedroom.