6

"Zairi go back inside." My mother uttered .

And suddenly all their eyes were on me.

I noticed all the Elders watching me ,  glaring at me except Aeran's grandmother,Kurona Kranis. Despite being the oldest of the lot, she still held the power regally commanding the attention of every other Elder present in the room.

"Come here.Let me look at  you properly,young lady" She beckoned me closer with a smile.

I looked at Ma who nodded her head slightly.Looking me over carefully, in my braided hair and the silver gown courtesy of Sekra, she engulfed me in her arms and whispered "Thank you."

I knew everyone heard that whisper of thanks but none dared question the Eldest leader of the pack.Only I knew the meaning behind those words.I nodded my head and she let go.

"I am grateful to you.You have earned my trust and my respect." I smiled slightly at the praise.It was almost impossible to earn her respect.After the demise of her husband,the Alpha Jedian, it was Kurona who held the pack together and helped it flourish to be the most successful pack .

"Granna.." Aeran started only to be stopped by the glare of his grandmother's eyes.

"Even though you are my grandson,I won't tolerate you interrupting me.Be careful next time."Kurona admonished Aeran,looking at each elder's eyes before bringing her eyes back to me.

The others had the decency to look down at Kurona's rebuke.

"I know how unjustly you were treated yesterday.Even being the wife of future Alpha, you were greatly disrespected by us.As the eldest member of the pack,I would like to apologize to you and your mother formally."

Even before she completed I was shaking my head."No one is to be blamed for what happened.I cannot fault anyone .No one anticipated the unexpected to be happening right in front of their eyes." My eyes found Aeran and quickly looked away by finding hatred in them.

Kurona nodded her head in deep thought and then looked over at my Ma "You should be proud of  your child." Her smiling eyes found me and strayed over back to Ma.

Heaving a sigh she then continued"I know that you don't  want to send Zairi to the pack but she is a part of the pack now.She belongs there.When she accepted Aeran ,she accepted the whole pack as well.As their Luna ,she needs to be where she is supposed to be.You cannot protect her, her whole life.You have to let her go now.I know you distrust every single one of us but I want you to put your trust in me to protect your daughter in your stead.And I want you to put your trust in your daughter who is capable enough to take care of herself."

I knew Ma would not be able to hold her own with Kurona Kranis for long.She stared at Kurona Kranis for a minute then accepted her defeat by a slight nod."I know you are right Kurona.I am being selfish by wanting to keep my daughter to myself a bit more."

Ma sat down on the chair near her."I trust you Kurona but I don't trust them."

After the quite that ensued ,Ma got up and glared at the elders present in the room.A cold chill engulfed the room as the words passed Ma's lips "If I come to know that my daughter is harmed in any way.I promise you all that you won't live long enough to repent it."

"Ma.."I whispered softly filled with love for her.

"Please leave us alone for a minute."Ma straightened .

Kurona nodded and led the way out.

When alone I uttered "Ma,I won't go."

Hearing the soft pronouncement she came towards me and placing her hands on my shoulders said "You know you are the reason why I get up every morning.I love you so much.I don't know how I'll be able to go through the day without seeing you.But that is what we must do.I cannot see you in pain Zairi. I'd kill before I let anything bad happen to you.But some things just cannot be.I won't be there forever and I cannot hide you from the world any longer.You have to face the life that Mother Nature has planned for you and I cannot stand in it's way.So I am letting you go Zairi."Silent tears started streaming from Ma's eyes.

I hugged Ma tightly"I love you too Ma.More than you'll ever know.I won't go.I just won't."

"Shaking her head Ma released me "No, Zairi you will go and you will prove them all wrong."

"But they all hate me.How can I live there.?"

"I have not raised a coward Zairi. You will go there and you will make me proud.You will earn their love and their respect.I have faith in you.There will be no more talk about this.My beautiful daughter,you will go."Wiping away her eyes Ma found the courage for the both of us to go along with this new phase of life.

Helpless tears kept falling from her eyes but I knew there was no choice. Sekra was silent unlike her usual self and I knew she mourned my leaving as well.

Ma helped me pack my belongings .A calmness had settled.The decision was made.

"Zairi, remember not to ever cry.Do you hear me.You cannot."

I was  afraid of Ma's reaction to let her know that a tear had already fallen.I wanted to but something stopped me.I guess I didn't want to see my Ma upset.

I nodded my head dutifully .

Coming out the house we found the Elders waiting patiently for me under the watchful gaze of Kurona who nodded her head slightly as we went near her. Aeran was nowhere to be found.

"I am glad you made the right decision.Come now.We need to hurry."

I couldn't find the courage to ask after him.The peace between Ma and the elders was already tattered.I couldn't risk it.

Kurona took  my hand gently out of my Ma's grip and proceeded to give Ma a hug as well.Ma stepped back. Kurona ignored the insult and took my hand in a light grip. 

Narrowing her eyes Ma declared "I am taking your word Kurona. See to it that nothing hurtful befalls my daughter or I won't be responsible for the consequences."She turned to me.

"Take care Zairi and know these doors will remain open for you forever."

"You too ,Ma.Do take care of yourself."

With that Ma disappeared behind the door.I knew she couldn't abide letting others see her weakness.

Just like that I was leaving everything I knew behind and walking towards an uncertain future where who knows what awaited me.