21

"Oh..these old bones are making it difficult to walk nowadays." I listened as Granna rubbed her knees.I gently removed her hand and kneaded it myself.

"Ah..Thank you child." She sighed.I smiled.Sometimes it just took a kind word to light someone up.I guess I was one of those.A knock sounded and I turned to find a worried Aiinata standing there.

"Elder Kurona,You are needed in the meeting room.Alpha Zed requests your presence urgently "

Peeking an eye open,Granna frowned ."What is so urgent to discuss at this time.?"

Aiinata shrugged "All the elders are already there ,in the main room.They are waiting for you."

I helped Granna to get up as she struggled.Patting my head she made her way to Aiinata ,hobbling with her stick in her hand.It seemed Granna seemed to be having difficulty walking for the past few days.The ointments she rubbed were not having much effect on her tired legs.

I walked past the meeting room as voices filtered out.I couldn't help but listen.

"The sightings have been seen more than once this past week.Not only this pack but the neighboring packs are complaining about it as well."

"Sightings..?Who.?" I heard Granna's alarming voice and after checking the surroundings stopped to listen.

"Yes Elder Kurona the wolfs patrolling the North borders claimed to sense some strange beings in robes loitering the borders.That can mean only one thing."

"Its not possible."

"They have always respected The Pact.They have no reason to violate it now."

"We all know what happened all those years ago.Everything and everyone was wiped down.The battle had ensured that.The Pact lost its meaning when we decided to ambush them."

"Its still unclear as to who they are.There's no need to make something else out of this.We don't know for sure." Granna's clear voice rang out in the silent room."Until we are sure I find it unnecessary to discuss such things."

"We should increase the members patrolling and..."

Hearing a shuffling noise I straightened and quietly made my way to my room.What were they talking about..?

Not paying much attention to the pack matters I was not related to, I decided to do something about Granna's knees.I grinned big,I just had the thing to help Granna with her pain.

Ma sometimes claimed to have suffered the same pain and Sekra had helped find the only cure.I have to make the midnight visit to my favorite place.Thinking through my plan I climbed the stairs up to Aeran's room satisfied.

It was way past 11.Where is he..? He should return by now.I sat by the fire biting my nail.

The door opened suddenly and I lay flat on my side quickly pretending to be asleep,breathing deep.He followed his usual routine of taking a shower and going to bed.I waited with abated breath as the lights were shut down.Now he'll be fast asleep in an hour or so.The things you could learn when living in the same room.By now I was aware that Aeran felt asleep easily,it could be attributed to the fact that he worked hard all day long or may be he was a deep sleeper.

He liked to drink coffee early in the morning on his bed.I saw Aiinata once carrying a large mug of coffee up to his room as I was hurrying out my old room, unnoticed by her. Aeran kept his room organised and clean as best as he could.Nothing missed his eye.He was very particular about all his things.I was invisible to him.Just as he had said that first night.

Being in close proximity of him, I had grown accustomed to his presence.Nowadays my body no longer shook whenever he was near.

But I knew to be as far away from him as possible when he was angry and furious.

The noises of the crickets and other insects entered the room from the open patio doors in the otherwise silent night.I turned to my other side facing the bed and peeked at his sleeping form.Silently I sat up and waited for him to make any movements.Nothing happened.As fast as I could I got up ,grabbed the small basket I had hidden under my quilt and noiselessly opened the door,looking at the bed again.Moving outside I sprinted the stairs and scanning the area twice.I entered the kitchen and heaved a sigh of relief when no one pushed open the doors and demanded the punishment for my intrusion.

I opened my pouch to pull out the herbs I had gathered earlier from my garden.Opening the cupboards slowly so as to not make any sound.I grabbed the saucepan and filled it with water.Boiling it I added the herbs and kept on stirring it.Adding a bit of honey to sweeten the taste.The decoct or Kadha has to be boiled for 2-3 hours for the herbs to leave their essence behind.Ma always drank it for the pain in her knees and it worked for her.I just hope it creates the same magic for Granna. Making myself comfortable ,I waited as the night went on.

I yawned feeling the tiredness from standing for so long.My back started aching.I cracked the knuckles of my fingers alleviating some pressure from them.The wonderful smell of the Kadha being cooked perfectly wafted up in the kitchen.I took it from the stove and transferred the still hot potion into the small glass bottle I had managed to find in the kitchen.Finally done,I washed the pan and cleaned the place to erase my presence here.

Taking the bottle with me I climbed up the stairs and entered the room as I had left it,silently. Aeran was turned to his side.A bit of the fire still remained.The morning was about to knock the night off.I kept the bottle on the table and lay down to have sleep claim me immediately.

PS- A look into Aeran's head ...coming tmrw. :)