12

The next days passed without any events.

I got up early in the morning and went to my garden.It took me a whole day to clear out the place.The thorny bushes remained still.They prevented intruders to enter my place.I took my lunch there as well.For the first two days there was no lunch for me as I was too engrossed in plucking out the weeds and spraying fertilizers to the land.The next day Aiinata started preparing my lunch to take it to the garden itself.Only Aiinata was aware of my day activities.My conversations with Aiinata were remote.I tried maintaining as much distance between us.I really didn't want her in any trouble with the others.I knew through our short conversations that she was being forced to stop having any interactions with me like the others but she cared enough to ask about my welfare.And I was grateful for it.Other than her it was just Granna who willingly talked to me.

After completing my work in the garden ,my evenings were spend with Granna who warmly welcomed me in her room and related to me stories about the pack,about her life,about Aeran. And I was an intent pupil,guzzling all the information she supplied.

All the other times, I was insulted and made fun of.I had forgotten the number of times I picked myself up from the ground.That was the best trick for them I suppose.To push me down so hard that it left bruises on my arms and legs.I didn't fight.I never fought.That satisfied them in some way because they left after.

I took it all.The only thing that used to tear me apart was when they insulted my Ma.

Leann never left any chance to sabotage my Ma's name.Her rudeness never affected me as much it did when she called my Ma every bad name she could come up with.I controlled myself like nothing else.Hearing her degrading my Ma boiled my blood.I controlled it as best I could.It physically hurt me to know that I was helpless to protect her name.That I wasn't trying hard enough.To have her name dragged through mud because of my selfishness.

I drank up all the anger,all the humiliation inside and kept it there.

Patience.

It was on one such day that all the emotions I had contained inside bubbled over and escaped my tight control.

I wanted to cry desperately but couldn't. Leann had succeeded again to torture me best.

I locked my room and ran to the mirror.She's not a whore.I whispered.My pupils started turning red but I was unable to do anything to stop it.I didn't want to stop it.

"She's not a whore." I shouted at my reflection.

The glass cracked in front of my eyes.Huge pieces swimming in mid air ,away from my body as if protecting me.As I released my breath they flew past me to hit the wall behind me with ferocity.I turned around quickly.Some of the larger pieces were embedded in the wall.I went closer to examine them.Catching my reflection in one of them I drew back shocked.I covered my face with both of my hands,horrified.The red color was slowly seeping over my whole eye.

What is happening to me.? What is this.?

I tried calming myself down. Breathing in slowly and letting it out.Thinking about Ma. Because she always brought me peace no matter what.

After a few moments of exercising control,I removed my hands from my face unhurriedly.My body slumped as if all the emotions had found escape.They were back to their normal  color.

I broke my stupor into action.

 I hurried to grab a thick cloth from my cupboard and brought it to the largest piece embedded in the wall.Very carefully I tried pulling it out.It didn't budge.I tried again with other pieces but to no avail.

Just then a  knock sounded.I jolted and cut my finger in the process.

I looked at the blood collecting at the small cut.Pressing down hard on it.

The knock sounded again.

"Zairi.?" Aiinata's voice filtered into the room.

"Coming." Relaxing myself I took a deep breath and walked to open the door.I stuck my head out the small opening and looked at Aiinata.I knew she won't enter. No one did.I found it puzzling.

The stupefied expression on her face was hilarious and I would have laughed if not for the occasion."Are you alright.?"

I nodded my head swiftly "Yes,I am fine.Was there something you wanted.?"

"I heard some noise.Did something fall.?"

My eyes widened."N-no.Nothing happened. Nothing fell."

After examining my face again she continued."Alright if you say so. Granna wants to talk to you.She's waiting for you in her room ."

"Oh,give me a minute." I started closing the door but she restrained the movement with her hand."She wants you right now."

I thought quickly and came with the lame excuse  "Aiinata I am not wearing anything.Please give me a movement to dress."

"Oh..I am sorry.Do hurry." With that she reddened and  stepped away from the door."I'll get going then.You come fast."

In the sanctuary of my room again,I looked at the wall in horror.What should I do..?

Washing my face and hands again I righted my appearance.Taking one last look around I hurried down stairs to Granna's room.

I knocked lightly and entered still preoccupied with my thoughts."Granna you called for me." I murmured without looking up.

"Zairi ,come here my daughter.I wanted to..."I was too engrossed in my thoughts to pay any attention to what Granna was saying.

What if someone looks inside the room.?Aiinata was already doubtful,what if she tries to open the door?What will she do when she sees the horror on that wall?Why that happened?How it happened?How will I answer her questions.?What will I say to make them understand when I couldn't understand it myself.?

I have to return back quickly.

"What do you think,Zairi..? Granna's voice invaded my thoughts again.

"Whatever you think is best, Granna" I mumbled still engrossed.My eyes fell to the cut on my finger and I brought it near to look clearly.There was no cut.My skin was smooth as before.No blood mark.Nothing.I turned my trembling finger side to side but couldn't find the mark of the cut anymore.

"Zairi..?" I jerked my head up at the loud voice.

Granna was looking at me confused."Where are you lost.?I am asking you something.?"

I looked around desperately.What did she ask.?It was then my eyes followed the dark shadow near the windows.My eyes followed the denim clad legs up to the checkered shirt and into the cold and enraged face of Aeran.